Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I'm a certified emergency team (NET) member in Portland. I emailed "command" at the City today to see what the plan was for an outbreak and I got a response "the County takes care of medical stuff" My own thought is when the virus hits thousands of people wil be laid up and need care. I figure us NETs can do most of the caregiving, at lest until we get sick and have to be cared for ourselves. I'm up for it but is the city/county?

jn
    In the late 70's I was one of the first EMT'S in our county and did infectious disease control "training" at the clinic. One of our doctors stated that ordinary face masks are only marginal at best. I asked her she would use and her statement was a mask used for painting or similar. Your post gave me food for thought as I keep a stocked crash kit short of prescription meds. Perhaps some sort of better respiratory protection is needed.
    Sam

I do have a 3M painter's mask I use painting bikes. Maybe I'll get some fresh cartridges

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I do have a 3M painter's mask I use painting bikes. Maybe I'll get some fresh cartridges

jn
    Are your filters N95?
    Sam

I'm glad as a group we are talking about this. We can't count on the gov't to help us. Just look at how the gov't responds to natural disasters.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

The 'Spanish Flu Epidemic' in 1918. Killed hundreds of thousands and sickened millions. Temporary emergency facilities were set up nation wide, even in our small community of 20,000. Just God's way of thinning the herd. Over populated countries like China and India will suffer badly!

Cases in S. Korea have spiked. undoubtable N. Korea too but they aren't talking yet.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

As this plays out in the Republic how can you take care of your family if this virus harms our infrastructure? Food, water, energy for instance is in short supply, what can you do now rather then later? Our daughter today is picking up the 3M respirators with extra filters for the three of us. We are currently using the other dust masks as we remodel our home, especially around saw dust. I wear a mask as I am cutting grass and in addition to that due to my cancer problem I have a weakened immune system. I wear gloves as I go outside my home to avoid germs and keep my hands warm. In the summer I wear driving gloves in place of my winter gloves to protect myself.
    Sam

8. Default

https://fortune.com/2020/02/20/coron...-transmission/

Which applies to everything else as well. But I think the suggestion is the oral/respiratory route is not primary. Still, I eat at home during flu season even more than during the summer; then it's usually coffee with someone.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 02-23-2020 at 11:22.

"Happy Birthday" is the song I was taught to sing as I washed my hands with HOT SOAPY WATER. Reason being this was the minimal time frame to eliminate most germs. In my company vehicle I kept hand sanitizer in addition to washing my hands. I wish there was a simple way to keep one safe and I believe one size does not fit all.
    Sam

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post

sobering link.