Default Shipping an "antique" Krag rifle to New York state

Can I legally ship an antique ( made in or before 1898 ) Krag rifle to New York state with out involving a FFL dealer?. I read some of the law, but, it seems to talk about antique pistols while talking about rifles and shot guns that are chambered for ammunition that is no longer available. It seems that the only things considered as antique are muzzle loading single shot guns..

2. Default

Well, I live in NY & have received them. It's the NY buyer, not the shipper, who must bear the consequences of an "illegal" shipment, because he's the only one the NYS Gestapo can lay hands on.

3. Default

From my understanding in talking to multiple FFL's over the years and reading of the section of law it is a definite NO. If the ammo is readily commercial available it is not considered an antique regardless of age. Your mileage may vary according to who you ask but I would be very careful.

The information above may be correct as it pertains to NY state law. But federal law (specifically Title 18 US Code, Chapter 44, Section 921 (a) (16) states the exact opposite. I have a letter from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch of the BATF that states "...any firearm manufactured prior to the year 1899 is an antique firearm for the purposes of the cited chapter." In other words, it doesn't matter what ammunition it uses, if it was made on or before 12/31/1898, it is an antique. The ATF official goes on to say that firearms covered by the National Firearms Act of 1934 have their own separate definition as to what constitutes an antique. Since however, the firearm you are referring to is a Krag rifle, not covered by the NFA, then if it was made on or before December 31, 1898, it is an antique firearm under federal law.
    Last edited by Conductor; 02-20-2020 at 03:28.
    Tickets, Please!

You really need to call your local ATF office and ask. Get whatever they say in writing too.
    "...as it pertains to NY state law..." Which ya'll get to comply with too. Keeping in mind Conductor's post.
    "...ammunition that is no longer available..." .30-40 Krag is available. It was seasonal by Remington and Winchester until Hornady started making it under their 'Custom' brand line. Now it's about $40 per 20 180 grain SP's only at Midway.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    The information above may be correct as it pertains to NY state law. But federal law (specifically Title 18 US Code, Chapter 44, Section 921 (a) (16) states the exact opposite. I have a letter from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch of the BATF that states "...any firearm manufactured prior to the year 1899 is an antique firearm for the purposes of the cited chapter." The ATF official goes on to say that firearms covered by the National Firearms Act of 1934 have their own separate definition as to what constitutes an antique. Since however, the firearm you are referring to is a Krag rifle, not covered by the NFA, then if it was made on or before December 31, 1898, it is an antique firearm under federal law.
    ATF is correct,

I am not sure of NY, but I do know that by Delaware law, a Trapdoor is supposed to go thru a dealer,

surely some folk ignore this,