Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default How Rare is a 1895 Dated Krag Bayonet??

This past weekend I picked up a 1895 dated Krag bayonet. I knew it looked different with some scattered blueing on the blade. From what info I found about 10k or so were blued in 94 and 95 but the practice was stopped. How rare is this bayo, and what is it worth in overall good shape and unsharpened? Thanks.....

I'd have to look, but IIRC it was only the"1894" ones that were blued, and not all of them.

Blued specimens - especially those proven to be arsenal work - are extremely rare. "1895" would be one of the less-common dates, but I'm not sure it would be "rare", and if the bluing is not original would detract from the value. Has it been re-gripped, or are the original flush/polished rivets intact? Do you have the scabbard? It should have the simple sheet-metal hook, not one of the later formed wire ones. With original grips and scabbard, I'd think around $250 or so, not counting for the bluing, assuming it is a later addition.

According to Brophy's book, the Board of Ordnance reported that the bluing of bayonet blades was stopped April 1, 1895. He also reports that he had seen seen only one bayonet that he considered to have shown original blue finish. I have two bayonets, both dated 1894 that show from a small amount of blue to maybe 20%. The blue that remains on both is found in the fuller on one and only a limited amount on the upper flat between the fuller and the hilt on the other. I have read, I think that there were a few of the 1895 dated blades that were blued, but I cannot recall now where I saw the information. Both of my blued bayonets have been sharpened and have been used, but even so, the blue is obviously a brighter color than, say a barrel. It is more of the color of the extractor, but not quite as bright. If the bayonet rivets are of the later type I would be certain that the blue blade was not original. Since the wood grips and their rivets could only be repaired at the arsenal, I'm sure they would not have kept a blued blade in service. It would be unlikely that any blued blades would be allowed to be used after the bright blade was adopted - if for no reason other than the uniformity when on parade. I also would be suspicious of an unsharpened blade. Given the rarity of their survival, the blued blades that have survived were likely those of personnel who kept them as souvenirs of their service and used. Just my thoughts, though I've been known to be wrong many, many times. As recently as this morning according to my wife.
    Last edited by 70ish; 02-19-2020 at 02:35.

4. Default

I appreciate your replies and will definitely start researching this bayonet.

If you can posi any photos we should be able to give you much better opinion of your bayonet. And photos of the scabbard, too, if you can. The early scabbards are collectible by themselves and their differences from the later issues are easy to see. Photos of the throat opening, the swivel mechanism, and the overall appearance of these parts will tell everything. The bodies of the scabbard itself were all the same. (The blue of the scabbard was not same as found on the blade). Values for a blued blade have always been good even though many, like mine, are in well worn condition. That may have been the reason they survived - they were “too worn to bother to return or to fix” five or ten years ago a blue bayonet could bring 350 and up, but today, sadly like so many things, prices have been hurt. Dick’s price was close to right. I wish they could still easily bring 400 and more, but today’s market isn’t as big as before. If yours is correct as,far as you describe, it could be, being dated 1895, the exception to the rule. Sharpened or not is not as much a factor for value of these, but the scabbard details will be. I hope you have found a survivor!!

GREAT answers, 70ish!! I have GOT to stop depending solely on my memory and look stuff up before responding.

You're very kind, Dick, but you can't stop depending solely on your memory. Many times it's going to be nearly impossible to look stuff up until you can remember where you saw it last. Unless, of course, there's no need to wait for the epiphany to strike you if you can come up with another timely answer. It's been wonderful to see you back with us! When we found that you were going to experience the joy of a bypass, I warned you that it wouldn't be fun, but it would be enlightening. The new memory procedures can be similarly enlightening.

8. Default

Again thank you all for your wealth of knowledge and help!

9. Default

Don Hartman has produced the best, and only book on the Krag bayonet, The blued 1894 bayonets are rare indeed. The 1895 blued bayonet was only produced for a few months . I have seen only one nice blued 1895 specimen previously owned by the only living expert on the Krag and now owned by Mr. Hartman.

Folk, Collector's Firearms in Houston, Texas has an old line catalog with photos.
    The prices...are scary for bayonets. But that is their retail.
    Gotta pay clerks, rent, owner's family/groceries/..boat?
    Don't try to sell there, an observation.