1. Default Anybody willing to thin out their collection?

What I'm looking for is any model rifle qualifying as an antique but retrofitted with the M1901 rear sight in clean, but not necessarily mint condition, as long as the cartouche is reasonably sharp. Won't deal with Gun Broker. clarencea@WebTV.net

In other words, an 1896 or a very early 1898 (below BATF cutoff of 152670) right? I'll see if I have something.

In a similar vein - anyone want a 26" BoOF rifle with a few issues - have two, one (WITH the special 2100yd sight) needs only a simple wood stretch, the other, a bit more, but both are guaranteed ORIGINAL barrel-receiver units from the test run of 100 in 1902. Also have a Krag .22, the arsenal version with extractor plate, not the Stevens-Pope rebarrel.

The .22 will be at retail, circa $3200 plus shipping, the other will be seriously reduced from the obscene level that their rarity dictates. I want to keep one of the 26" - WHICH one depends on the amount of money I can realize. For rarities, I ship Registered Mail, insured for more than the value of the item, upon acceptance of good funds by my bank.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-15-2020 at 01:00.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    In other words, an 1896 or a very early 1898 (below BATF cutoff of 152670) right? I'll see if I have something.
    Right, preferably a '98, but that will be difficult to find, I know. The reason for the 1901 sight is that I want to shoot it, & only that one has an aperture, poorly positioned as it is. Thanks for looking, whether you find anything appropriate or not.

Can't get to storage right now, but will do so as soon as I can. Will also have to see what the little tin-hatted assholes presently governing the People's Republik of Kalifornia have done to the shipping legalities - been a LONG time since I sold/shipped anything. Would not be surprised if ALL sales now - even antiques - might have to go through an FFL.

Dick, just out of curiosity what kind of price are you thinking on the BOF rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by sdkrag View Post
    Dick, just out of curiosity what kind of price are you thinking on the BOF rifles?
    In all honesty, I have not really gotten that far, and I do want to try and keep one. Many people are aware that I acquired them both for next to nothing, simply by being in the right place at the right time, knowing the serial range, and having a good sense of physical proportion when looking at photos.

But, the inescapable fact is that I spent (perhaps borrowed would be a better word) retirement money to assemble the collection which is now going to have to perform.

Here is an illustration of my philosophy: When we owned our antique store, my wife might pick up a $10 item for $2, sell it for $4 and think she killed a fat hog by "doubling her money". My position is that something is worth what it is worth, and when you can make a larger profit, such as selling that item for $8 (STILL a fair deal to the retail customer, mind you!) there is no reason not to do so - since you ALSO have to allow for those deals where you guessed on something for $12, and had to sell it for $10.

I'll have to find out what a right one is worth, and that may not be easy, and then knock a chunk off of that. Stay tuned. Do you want the answer privately?
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-16-2020 at 10:56. Reason: grammer

Thanks for the reply Dick. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you. Out of curiosity what is the range for BOF rifles? And yes when you come up with an idea i'd appreciate a PM.

Will do. I've never seen a right one for sale, though.

FWIW, Alex MacKenzie (Curator at SA) told me that theirs (or one of theirs, the waters are muddy) is, like my 388786, in a carbine stock. So, it might be the "righter" of my two, though I lean towards keeping the classic with the 2100 sight, even if the forend is a stretcheroo.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-21-2020 at 07:40. Reason: added "if"