Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

Maybe we should all stand and respect our President . He doing so much more than Obama`s wasted 8 years.

The great wall of China. The maginot line. All very nice but we've moved on. It always ends up as folly, but it serves a purpose for that brief time. This is that time.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    The great wall of China. The maginot line. All very nice but we've moved on. It always ends up as folly, but it serves a purpose for that brief time. This is that time.
    I'll bite. The Maginot line served what purpose? A public works boondoggle? A focal point for defeatism? The Germans punched through it anyways with little difficulty. Field works to improve the defender's odds in a coming battle are one thing. Crouching indefinitely behind walls is another. The French found that out the hard way. A physical wall, open in flash flood season anyways, is a waste of time.
    Last edited by togor; 02-18-2020 at 03:21.

A wall is useful to slow down and do work as intended. My home town was damaged by the 1937 flood, our house which is 3/4 of a mile from the Ohio had 8 feet water. By 1944 the flood wall was finished and has protected our town since then. Recently the flood gates had to be installed and no water got into town because OF A WALL.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by shadycon View Post
    History; the only way the Berlin wall kept people in was the mine fields and guard towers! Are we going to go to that extreme??
    People should look back at what's be tried in the past before trying it again!
    I doubt if there were very many mine fields in the center of Berlin and I never saw many towers, just patrolling soldiers

The line was supposed to keep the Germans out but it was one of those follies. North America will eventually be overrun but I'm still for building a wall. It sends a message. It somewhat discourages illegal crossing and it makes me feel like someones at least making an effort.
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-18-2020 at 10:07.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

We can address immigration more cheaply and effectively with passports and such but then we become a "Papers Please" country and pretty much nobody wants that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    I'll bite. The Maginot line served what purpose? A public works boondoggle? A focal point for defeatism? The Germans punched through it anyways with little difficulty. Field works to improve the defender's odds in a coming battle are one thing. Crouching indefinitely behind walls is another. The French found that out the hard way. A physical wall, open in flash flood season anyways, is a waste of time.
    the experts said that the Germans would invade over there,,

so they built the Maginot line, over there,

the Germans decided why bother go that way, we can run thru Belgium, have a few delicious beers and keep moving,,,