Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A lot of times my rifle goes downrange with me. The range is in a state wildlife area with only a single lane road leading to it. The first few times I made the walk I realized that someone could come down the hill, have my rifle, and be nearly gone, long before I could run the 100yds.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

the few times I was at Perry, leaving a rifle in the prep area while you were in the pits was common, and no one worried,

some would leave them at the pit entrance as well,

never had a thought of that at my rifle club, but we are members only,

the one public range that I go to rarely is only open Sept thru March, and usually empty, except weekends,

I knew of someone having a rifle stolen there, but not at the range,
    the range is in the back of a wildlife management area, and the guy I met was shooting, then drove up to one of the ponds to fish,
    parked his truck on the road leading to the pond, and it was out of sight from where he was fishing,

came back and found his truck broken into and his shooting stuff, including rifle, gone

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    the few times I was at Perry, leaving a rifle in the prep area while you were in the pits was common, and no one worried,

some would leave them at the pit entrance as well,

never had a thought of that at my rifle club, but we are members only,

the one public range that I go to rarely is only open Sept thru March, and usually empty, except weekends,

I knew of someone having a rifle stolen there, but not at the range,
    the range is in the back of a wildlife management area, and the guy I met was shooting, then drove up to one of the ponds to fish,
    parked his truck on the road leading to the pond, and it was out of sight from where he was fishing,

came back and found his truck broken into and his shooting stuff, including rifle, gone
    Too much glass makes it hard to hide stuff in trucks, vans and SUVs. My wife left an empty purse in our van a few years ago and someone broke a window to get it.

I’m tempted to leave the rifle in the car until I’m ready to start shooting. I always have to make two trips from the car to the shooting table. So, instead of leaving a $1000 rifle sit on the table while I go hang a target 100 yards away, maybe I should get everything ready, go hang the target and then get the rifle from the car. I look at the target through a spotting scope after each shot so there’s really no reason to walk back to the target area. I can hang several targets at once if I plan to shoot a lot.