Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A day at the range

I enjoy spending a few hours at the Cecil Webb Public Gun Range in Punta Gorda, Florida every winter. The range is well built and nicely maintained. It was sunny day with temps in the 60s with a light wind. There’s always someone there who likes to talk about old guns. This year, I brought my Winchester M1917 which always attracts attention. I actually met a guy that I discovered was from my neighborhood back home in Pittsburgh. He was really into old guns. Small world. I placed all 12 shots that I sent 100 yards downrange inside the 12 inch paper plate target so my right eye still works.

Nice Merc!
    I have an aunt in Punta Gorda that I always visit during Christmas. I don't usually think about shooting during the holidays, but always go back in April to trim her trees etc., and will now bring a couple old milsurp rifles with me. The town is full of old guys in the winter, so would be a great way to talk to vets. at the range.

The Cecil Webb Range is the only range I know of that’s open to the public. Sounds like you’re already familiar with the area. I have several friends and relatives who live in the Ft. Myers area who shoot so we go there a few times each winter. The weekends tend to be busy but the weekdays are less crowded. There always seems to be a few old guys there who are interested in knowing all there is to know about whatever milsurp rifle I happen to have with me at the time, and that’s probably half the fun.

Winter home in Port Charlotte and shot at that range a number of times. In the winter it's busy all week some times you have to wait for a bench. Nice range though but I like my smaller range up north in Twin Lakes, WI better, it's never busy.

I belong to two gun clubs in PA and I’m often the only shooter there except maybe prior to deer season. I have been to the Webb Range on numerous occasions and there may have been a time or two when I had to wait for a position to open up. That doesn’t surprise me since it’s a public range. They’re kinda rare. Does anyone know of another public gun range in Florida or anywhere else?

6. Default

I think there is a small one in the Ocala National Forest, Ocala, FL.

The Ocala range is crude but never crowded due to driving distance. Range out to 300 if I remember right. Haven't been there in years.
    Might be worth a road trip, and swim Juniper springs as well.
    We have a couple public ranges here in Volusia County.

I went back to the Cecil Webb Range on Wednesday with a friend and met a father and son who were interested in the M1917. Unfortunately, the son was moving permanently to Australia. He was shooting a variety of semi autos rather furiously. According to his dad, he was there all afternoon the previous day and fired nearly $1000 worth of ammo.

The Ocala range is about a 40 minute drive for me. Yes, it is kind of crude and can be very crowded on the weekends with less than considerate people. A problem several years ago was when shooters would leave the bench to go downrange leaving their weapons on the bench. Upon return, they discovered them stolen, so the caution there is to have a buddy stay at the bench or if solo, return your guns to your car. Unfortunately, you may lose your spot on the bench doing that. The above being said, if not crowded and if you have a shooting buddy, it can be an enjoyable experience. As a bonus, either the Salt Springs VFW or Palatka VFW is nearby for a post shooting cold one.

VG

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Guy View Post
    The Ocala range is about a 40 minute drive for me. Yes, it is kind of crude and can be very crowded on the weekends with less than considerate people. A problem several years ago was when shooters would leave the bench to go downrange leaving their weapons on the bench. Upon return, they discovered them stolen, so the caution there is to have a buddy stay at the bench or if solo, return your guns to your car. Unfortunately, you may lose your spot on the bench doing that. The above being said, if not crowded and if you have a shooting buddy, it can be an enjoyable experience. As a bonus, either the Salt Springs VFW or Palatka VFW is nearby for a post shooting cold one.

VG
    Stealing a rifle at a range is very troubling to hear.