Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Never seen another one like it, Dwm Berlin, Sporter, Hex barrel, help identify ? Pics

2. Default

MAUSER3.jpg

This is the way I found it sitting at the gun show sitting on a table, (2) proof markings & 784 are the only numbers on the receiver & hex barrel on this firearm. photo's show the buttstock & brass plate, 26 1/2" barrel, hex bbl, front sight, 1000 meter rear sight, I don't know anything about it but would like some help or insight on what I have. Rookie mistake, removed the bolt & it took me 45 mins to figure out how to get back in the receiver Lol...
    Last edited by 36750177; 02-09-2020 at 11:19.

Blog Entries

I don't think they are proof marks, I think they are makers marks , from whoever built it,

nice looking sporter,

What caliber is it?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    What caliber is it?
    6.5 mm is what I was told.
    Last edited by 36750177; 02-09-2020 at 06:46.

"...Sporter..." That's the key. Likely rebuilt by some guy who was probably not a working smithy. Smithy's generally put their name on the stuff they build. Like lyman says, the round stamp near the 784 is not a proof mark. Very likely is the builder's stamp.
    The barrel is more scalloped than hex'd too. Same idea as fluting, but actually reduces the weight. Not that it matters.
    "...6.5 mm is what I was told...." A very wild and hairy guess says 6.5 x 55. That's usually stamped on by smithies too. You need to slug the barrel and do a Cerrosafe chamber cast. The half pound ingot from Brownell's is more than enough.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...y-prod384.aspx
    Spelling and grammar count!

Fine looking sporter made by a very talented group of men as I think it is a "guild" gun. It should have markings on the barrel on the bottom flat that will tell you all you need to know as to caliber. It would have had to go through a proof house. And, by the way, it's an octagonal barrel ...not a hex. Count the flats and you will see there are 8 of them, not 6.

The Guild made guns were right up there with the finest made in jolly old England. Old world craftsmen ship. Could be 6.5 x57. Many different 6.5 mm cartridges were in use during the time frame this was made.

Looks like a Plezier Mauser. "Plezier" refers to that sight. Used by the Boers in Boer War possibly. Here's another example of one: i1342.jpg
    Adding source of photo: https://www.milsurps.com/vbpicgaller...g&p=1341#photo
    In Balls "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" there is a section on Boer weapons, explaining how such Mausers were attained by regular folks. the Boers ordered their own weapons from various suppliers or bought them from the gov't at cost. So, despite many having a similar appearance to yours, they came in all shapes, sizes and calibers.
    Here's a good article on them: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...r_071907/83471
    Last edited by Liam; 02-25-2020 at 04:10.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.