Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1905 Bayonet

Default M1905 Bayonet

I would value opinions and estimates on this bayonet. I need to buy a new barrel and have it installed on my 03A3. My good wife say Christmas is over, so...

It has a blackish finish on the blade and shows low wear.

And not shown is a sheath that looks like green fiberglass and has a flaming bomb symbol. I'm certain the sheath came much later that the bayonet.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Craig
    Last edited by Craig from kazoo; 01-26-2020 at 04:46.

Your bayonet had a bright polished blade and was refinished towards the end of WW1 or at some other
    time. Perfect bayonet for a pre war or early M1 rifle

On a 1903A3, I would think either a long blade 1905 with a WW2 date which would match your scabbard
    or a WW2 M1 bayonet would be correct

I've been bidding for years on 1905 bayonets but will not pay what I see them go for. Your bayonet on ebay could bring $200 to $600. Prices are kinda crazy now.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Default original early bayonet

Found this many years ago and saved it. This is the original condition but may
    have had a earlier scabbard ?P1010031_0026.jpgP1010032_0027.jpgP1010033_0028.jpg

Thank you for your feedback, then in your opinion would $275 be a fair price for both parties?

Thanks again. I didn't have a clue about it originally being shiny.

It's nice, I picked it after I was offered a 1903 with a Santa Fe stamped receiver and the bayonet. Receiver looked awful, and after I looked it up at home I think I found out it was cast.

I suppose it's probably time for me to take this conversation over to the For Sale forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig from kazoo View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, then in your opinion would $275 be a fair price for both parties?
    I think that is a fair price.

Had it down to $245 before yanking it as I kinda like that big old thing. This old jarhead could hold down a hallway with it on the end of my 03a3!

Anyways back to reality. What's the story on the green fiberglass (?) sheath with metal U.S. inside the exploding bomb stamping?

Thanks,

Craig

If you have a scabbard like that then you have one made during WW2 for the bayonet. Do you have the canvas covered one also. I've attached a link for a great research site on US bayonets. Sadly the author died on us. He was very kind when I asked him questions.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm

I like my M1905 on my M1 Garand.

It seems to go with so many things doesn't it.

Thanks for the interesting bayonet link, I have it book marked.

How sweet one of the earliest leather sheaths must have been before time took its toll.