Thread: CFE 223

Default CFE 223

Found a lb of this in my reloading supplies. Picked it up a few years ago, never used it. Any suggestions for it? I'm happy with H335 for M193 clones, and Win 748 or Varget for HPBT rounds in 5.56 with 9" twist, but not against trying new things.

Blog Entries

know a few that use it for basic plinking or M193 type loads with no issues

load up a batch and let us know

Blog Entries

Your powder choice would depend on your bullet choice and rifle you want to use it in.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

'CFE' stands for "Copper Fouling Eraser. Supposedly originally used in military propellant.
    Hodgdon's marketing says it's good for "204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more."
    Like Roadkingtrax says, your bullet and cartridge choice matter. Then it'll depend on whether or not your rifle likes it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    know a few that use it for basic plinking or M193 type loads with no issues

load up a batch and let us know
    Probably the place to start. I have plenty of 55 FMJs.

6. Default

I bought 8 pounds of it when it came on the market which coincided with my beginning to load 556 caliber. I found out that the velocity listed by Hodgedon to be flawed and inaccurate. I found zero evidence it reduced copper fouling. I found it inferior to Varget, RL 15, H4895 for performance.

It does meter like water and its adequate for out to 600 yds with 556. I would not waste my time using it for other calibers since its load data on velocity is so flawed and many known powders do perform as documented in reloading manuals.

Its not a powder I will buy more of and there are better powders for 556 hand loading that give more versatility. That all said, if one is a 100 to 300 yd shooter, it will suffice fine but you better do your own load development to get decent performance.

If its plinking...any powder will satisfy so buy this powder with confidence.

If you shoot long range 800 to 1000 yds in 556 caliber , this powder stinks and is worthless. 77 and 80 gr bullets are wasted on hand loads with this powder at these ranges. I find (in order of accuracy), H4895, RL 15, Varget powders perform best with the 77/80 gr bullets at 800/1000 yds out of my stock M16A4 Rock River National Match rifle with scope.

7. Default

I'm starting to hear now that CFE is a marketing ploy. That the ingredients of this new special copper scouring chemical has been around for 40 or more years. Win 748 I was told uses this technology.

Cannot say whether WW-748 has any adaptive to deter copper fouling. Can say that it has given me outstanding results in 5.56mm, 7.62mm and ... .30-06 Springfield. just a superb powder. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."