Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

GUNN308 nice piece of history you have there.
    CPLNORTON nice piece on history you posted.

2. Default

CPLNORTON Hope these help sorry it took so long Jerry
    Last edited by gunn308; 02-06-2020 at 06:13.

Gun308, I cannot tell you how absolutely fascinating this rifle is to me. I've stared at this pics for probably 30 minutes already. lol

It's definitively built like the way the Marine Corps built their Mann Niender Snipers, but everything is on a smaller scale. I'm actually very interested in the spacing of the blocks and the length.

I need to get one of my original snipers out of a safe and do some comparisons between that rifle and this, and see if there is a correlation. I also need to pull out the drawings of the Army Mann Niedner blocks and do some comparisons as well.

After you have studied real rifles and then I have a lot of pics that are unpublished, you see the way the Marines Corps armorers did modifications. I can see some certain mods in this that for sure look like the Marine Corps had their hands into this rifle, but then I see other traits that were left out. Which is just absolutely fascination to me.

It's almost like a hybrid in some ways. I think that is the easiest term in the way I would describe it.

But let me get a rifle out later today when I have more time and do some comparisons in measurements. I'm really glad you put the tape measure in those pics. That helps immensely.

I am immensely jealous of this rifle. It's very fascinating!

I will report back.

I've looked at a bunch of stuff trying to pinpoint this and it's just as I said earlier, a hybrid of some sorts.

I really don't know exactly what this one is. I will definitely keep a look out going forward. I'm hoping to find some pics that would show this style and figure it out.

It's really, really interesting and what an Heirloom. I would love to own this set myself!

Thank you so much for sharing. If I find anything new I will definitely come back and update this.

When I tried to have a look at pics my pc went nuts! Be careful!
    M1a1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!

6. Default

Hello cplnorton - I was hoping to send you a private message in regards to this thread, but apparently your inbox is full and can't receive any more messages. Are you still around?

7. Default

Maj. Becker was a SSS instructor at Deer Point. As such, he would have been given one of the earliest issued SSS rifles (April of 1918). Some of the original instructors were issued rifles from the 150 lot Niedner did, but not all of them. One instructor changed rifles at least three times during his tenure. It would not be unusual that Maj. Becker kept his rifle after the war due to his close association with the Marine Corps rifle team, as the shooters could have just about any rifle and scope they desired. He may have purchased them at his own expense. I thought I sent you the documentation for Maj. Becker a year or so ago. The scope may have been changed many times.

Quote Originally Posted by 03collector View Post
    Hello cplnorton - I was hoping to send you a private message in regards to this thread, but apparently your inbox is full and can't receive any more messages. Are you still around?
    I don't come over to this forum a lot because it seems to be about dead. But you can write me here or email too at cplnorton2@yahoo.com. I cleared out my inbox.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gunn308 View Post
    Hope these help sorry it took so long Jerry
    A bit more light would sure help when viewing your pictures.

By now you must know you own a very rare, and very valuable, set of armaments. At auction, they would garner enough cash to buy a new Mercedes. You do realize you can follow Maj. Becker's entire Marine career through the Muster Rolls on Ancestry.com? There is no mystery as to who he was. The scoped rifle is invaluable. Since Maj. Becker was a lifer and a paper puncher, it has probably undergone numerous changes, modifications, and adjustments; which was not unusual at all for paper punchers. It appears to have its original barrel. It is a shame he did not retain the original A5 scope and Penquin scope case issued to him with the rifle. You own a verifiable WWI Marine sniper rifle that can be traced. Get a copy of his service records, cost is $60. You will see he was issued that rifle in early 1918 at GITMO. You don't need any BS speculation from any of us, as you will have the complete paper trial. Do it.

Maj. Becker wasn't any run of the mill Marine. He was a player. Only the best shots in the Marines held the stations he did. He was picked by Maj. Fay to be a sniper school instructor at GITMO, the first Marine sniper school. He later went to OSD as a sniper school instructor when OSD opened its doors to trainees. He went Distinguished (rifle) in 1920, which puts him in the same league as shooters like Hathcock and McIlhanney. The fact that he was the owner of these rifles adds significant value to them.

Good luck. I would like to see a closeup of the shrouded serial number if you can get the lighting under control. Just remember - those rifles will only appreciate in value.

Blog Entries

here is a very good tutorial on taking photo's of firearma (or just about anything)

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/pi.../#post-3157849