1. Default 1903a4 Redfield JR scope base question

Hi, Can anyone tell me the degree of angle of the machined rear section of an original USGI Redfield JR scope base.
    thanks scott

In W.W. II there was no such thing as an angled scope base.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by kicker View Post
    Hi, Can anyone tell me the degree of angle of the machined rear section of an original USGI Redfield JR scope base.
    thanks scott

I presume you are describing the bevel that appears at the rear of the Redfield JR base. In my opinion the bevel was included to provide finger clearance for adjustment of the eyepiece. Such clearance was only necessary if the Lyman Alaskan (M73) telescope was used.

Most of the M1903A4 rifles that were assembled and issued were equipped with Weaver 330C (M73B1) Telescopes. In that case the telescope's w&e adjustment plate interferes with the rear mounting ring so the bevel serves no purpose except to facilitate an eventual upgrade to the superior M73 telescope.

4. Default

Yes that was that i was describing. I remember buying one or two many years ago, as well as a bolt, from the shotgun news. I don't remember if they said Redfield, though. I can't find a single one of them now that i need them. I have read many or your old posts since i finally picked up two A4 projects. I was hoping i may get a copy of the 330/m73B1 & surviving 1903A4 Rifle data that you have assembled. My interest is strictly as a hobbyist and would have no intention of subverting your hard work in any way. I have reached out to you in a PM as well. Thanks scott

5. Default

Yes, the original intention was for the M1903A4 to have the Lyman Alaskan as the issue scope (requiring the cut for the scope bell to fit the mount), thus it was designated M73 - Weaver 330s were designated as the M73b1 - Second Choice. Lyman got their lense sets from Bausch and Lomb, who was too busy making submarine periscope optics and other more important optical devices for the military to supply them 20,000 rifle scope lense sets. So the cheap, inferior Weaver 330 got the nod. Here is a post showing the angle cut on an ORIGINAL 03A4 Redfield Mount with the 330, as shipped from Remington factory and issued. It is on page two, but some info in the other pages. If I can find it (on Milsurps.com also) I once sent a guy the specs to cut his "square" mount to be angled like the originals to take an Alaskan/M81/M82. CC

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=46207&page=2

Here is a thread with a picture of an original M1903A4 GI replacement base, in the wrap - showing the "angle". CC

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=8353
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-19-2020 at 11:41. Reason: extra info
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor