Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    You are wrong. If my memory is correct, you didn't have to "apply" for determent. It was issued to those who qualified. I had three deferments and never applied for one. Millions of draft aged men received deferments and Trump was no exception. Tens of thousands of draft aged men volluntered... The real draft dodgers like Bill Clinton violated the law. Trump didn't.
    You may not have had to apply for a medical deferment, but I thought for a student deferment, or consciences objector status you had to apply and provide some proof of being a student or membership in a religious sect that forbade military service. If I remember right you could appeal a 1A classification. It's a long time ago, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    You may not have had to apply for a medical deferment, but I thought for a student deferment, or consciences objector status you had to apply and provide some proof of being a student or membership in a religious sect that forbade military service. If I remember right you could appeal a 1A classification. It's a long time ago, so...
    It varied -- if you reported for your physical and were found not fit, you were exempt without application. If you were married (one ground for deferment instituted by Kennedy), in college, and so on, you had to apply.