Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    P.S. Moderator, why isn't this thread on the Political Forum?

because I cannot move it

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    because I cannot move it
    Just wondered...

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    because I cannot move it
    Got a 4 wheel drive truck and trailer if that would help any, you pay for the gas.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    Served in the Navy from January '65 to December '67 (kiddy cruise). Never applied for a deferment from the draft, enlisted just before I turned 18 to fulfill my military obligation. I never was sent to Vietnam and have never claimed to be a Vietnam Vet. I have great respect for anyone who served there. I lost classmates and one good friend in that war. I also had friends who actively sought deferments from being drafted. I can't say I didn't have some negative thoughts about that, but I didn't condemn them for it. One of my best lifelong friends refused induction and went to trial for it. Of course he was in a San Francisco court, so he got a slap on the hand (community service). I understood his anti-war sentiments and even though I didn't agree with them at the time, we remained friends. At least he didn't flee the country, he stayed and faced the consequences of his action.

Over the years I have mellowed some about those who received deferments from the draft. I don't condemn them for doing so, the laws at the time provided for deferments and what they did was legal even if I didn't agree with some of their motivations for doing so. Those who fled out of the country are a different matter in my mind. I thought they should have never been allowed back. They made a choice.
    So, I don't have a problem with President Trump getting a medical deferment for "bone spurs" or any other reason any more than I would with anyone else. This long windy thread about it accomplishes nothing other than letting people argue with each other without possibility of anyones mind being changed. IMO guys, GIVE IT A REST. P.S. Moderator, why isn't this thread on the Political Forum?
    You are wrong. If my memory is correct, you didn't have to "apply" for determent. It was issued to those who qualified. I had three deferments and never applied for one. Millions of draft aged men received deferments and Trump was no exception. Tens of thousands of draft aged men volluntered... The real draft dodgers like Bill Clinton violated the law. Trump didn't.
    Last edited by RED; 01-28-2020 at 09:20.

So Red, He is still your heel spur hero....I bet you feel pretty proud of him....

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    You are wrong. If my memory is correct, you didn't have to "apply" for determent. It was issued to those who qualified. I had three deferments and never applied for one. Millions of draft aged men received deferments and Trump was no exception. Tens of thousands of draft aged men volluntered... The real draft dodgers like Bill Clinton violated the law. Trump didn't.
    Red, getting a favorable diagnosis from a sympathetic doctor isn't draft evasion? You think that note just fell out of the sky? If you want to Obama's transcripts, I want to see that X-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk2 View Post
    So Red, He is still your heel spur hero....I bet you feel pretty proud of him....
    If you feel Trump did wrong, tell us about YOUR service in Viet Nam.

8. Default

Yes, a bogus medical deferment written by a long dead doctor, medical records that are buried somewhere-if they still exist.
    Here's a challenge to the Lefties-we'll start pressuring Trump to release those records if they will pressure Warren Buffet to release his tax forms to back up his claim that his secretary pays more in taxes than he does.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Yes, a bogus medical deferment written by a long dead doctor, medical records that are buried somewhere-if they still exist.
    Here's a challenge to the Lefties-we'll start pressuring Trump to release those records if they will pressure Warren Buffet to release his tax forms to back up his claim that his secretary pays more in taxes than he does.
    Thank you for at least acknowledging the obvious about Trump's spurs. Personally I'd be in favor of more rich guy transparency across the board. Any ideas how we can bring that about?

At least Trump had an excuse, legitimate or not. It's really none of your nor our business.

Real problem or not it's more than Clinton had to avoid the draft and Obama never enlisted at all, even in peace times.
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 02-03-2020 at 11:43.