1. Default Help On Low Number SA 1903

I have a 1903 Barreled receiver I bought years ago and totally forgot about. It is a Springfield 500,xxx with a 10/11 dated SA barrel. The following parts are there:

H marked Band
    Front Sight
    Rear sight base
    Trigger Assembly

Bore is really nice and the muzzle is tight with an M2 ball round. The finish is pretty nice at around 80 percent or better of blue. What is something like this worth as a project. Is the barrel original?

2. Default

I have a 1903 Barreled receiver I bought years ago and totally forgot about.
    I have made purchases I have never forgot; now after all these years I have trouble remembering where I stacked and or stored a few of them.

All of my 03s and 03A3 are shooters; I asked the same question and was told 'not much' because all the parts are not matching etc. So now all of my 03s and 03A3 are drilled and tapped with very fine stocks. I am looking for a late model receiver for a very heavy barrel, I am going to build me one of those bench rester rifles. I can use a Mauser action or a M1917 action. Not a problem but my barrel is threaded to an 03.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-09-2020 at 11:20.

3. Default

That's nice that you are looking for that, post in the WTB section and do not Hijack my thread. Thanks!

4. Default

All of my 03s and 03A3 are shooters; I asked the same question and was told 'not much' because all the parts are not matching etc. So now all of my 03s and 03A3 are drilled and tapped with very fine stocks. I am looking for a late model receiver for a very heavy barrel, I am going to build me one of those bench rester rifles. I can use a Mauser action or a M1917 action. Not a problem but my barrel is threaded to an 03.
    not Hijack my thread
    Well excuse me. I was not making an offer because I would not install a magnum barrel on a low number receiver. I have very heavy barrels that are blanks with the one that is threaded for the Springfield. I had a friend that was working on drilled/parade receivers, problem, he died. And then there is another problem; he did a fantastic job meaning the purchaser of all of his supplies and parts does not know the receivers were repaired.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-10-2020 at 06:33.

Blog Entries

worth,

it's a restoration at best, mixmaster at worst,,

either way, not what an original is worth, but you already know that,

question is how much do you want to sink into it?

$$$ to make it 'correct'

$$ to make it a shooter,

value to someone else is likely to be slightly less than a shooter (if completed as a mix master) due to the low number

6. Default

Well what would be a fair price for the barreled receiver with other parts as I described. I don't have enough time or patience to do a restoration. TIA!

7. Default

TIA! I will believe that when I see it.

Did not forget but I have an 03A4 barrel that is chambered to 308 Norma Mag, the shop that returned the receiver back to 03A4 configuration gave me the barrel, stock, bolt and trigger guard. Point?

I suggest you sell the barreled receiver with related parts on an auction, I suggest you start the price at $275.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    TIA! I will believe that when I see it.

Did not forget but I have an 03A4 barrel that is chambered to 308 Norma Mag, the shop that returned the receiver back to 03A4 configuration gave me the barrel, stock, bolt and trigger guard. Point?

I suggest you sell the barreled receiver with related parts on an auction, I suggest you start the price at $275.

F. Guffey
    since the barrel and serial number appear to match, may go up a few dollars from Guffey's price

9. Default

Thanks for your input.....