Thread: Assem ar15

1. Default Assem ar15

Please recommend for me. What do i want for headspace gauges? Clymer, Forster or ? And what do i want for a reamer? Wylde? Or ? I’m familiar with building M1 Garands from scratch, but I’ve assembled only 1 AR from scratch. So the subject is pretty new to me. I’m planning on building an early version of AR. I.E. no forward assist, etc. i would appreciate any and all advice. TIA Al

Blog Entries

are you using a barrel assemby? or planing on installing your own extension\barrel nut?

any brand you mentioned will do, (ditto the same brand for reamers)

if you are using a barrel assembly, (that you do not have to install the nut and extension) then a simple field gauge will do,

3. Default

Thanks lyman. I will be installing a new barrel and my own extension/barrel nut.

Blog Entries

I have had good use from Clymer, as far as reamers,

5. Default

Don't remember who made this point-it's important to use go & no go gauges from the same maker. Doesn't matter which one, but different makers interpret the datum differently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Don't remember who made this point-it's important to use go & no go gauges from the same maker. Doesn't matter which one, but different makers interpret the datum differently.
    very good suggestion, would add field gauge to that as well

Default military gages

These are from my collection, got these many years ago for $10 and saved themP1010027.jpgP1010028.jpg