Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Colt used the 38 Colt cartridge with a heeled bullet, as more modern revolvers came along the heeled bullet was discontinued. Colt used
    both a 38 Short Colt and 38 Long Colt with bullet diameters around .376 to .380 diameters when introduced - the 38 S&W came after.
    There was also a 38 rim fire too

2. Default

thanks for the reply.

Nice professional work. A conversion which has been 'smithed into being has an air of authenticity the Italian clones lack.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Before I converted the Uberti 1851 Colt to cartridge, I had also converted a very
    incomplete Uberti 1861 Colt. When I found the Uberti 1861, it was missing the
    following parts: cylinder, wedge, loading lever. I did use a Legal Defender 1851
    cylinder making a new recoil plate, ejector housing, wedge and loading gate.

Now I found the best way (I think) to shoot 357-358 dia lead bullets though a
    very oversized bore. I made hollow based bullets and use light loads with Unique
    for indoor ranges and black powder for outdoor ranges. There use to be heeled
    bullet moulds around but you need to bore out the cylinder chambers. I find
    the hollow base soft lead to work.Attachment 46885Attachment 46886
    An interesting side note; the old .41 Long Colt originally used an outside lubricated .406 caliber 200 grain "heel base" bullet just like a current .22 rimfire. In the early part of the 20th century they went to more conventional bullet set up with a lengthened case and a 200 gr. .386 bullet with a hollow base to expand and take the rifling. This worked but wasn't considered as accurate. Considering the uses of the .41 Colt this may not have been a big deal.

the .41 Colt was considered superior to the .38 special by many including Elmer Keith back when there were no hollow points. The idea being that a .40 cal, 200 gr. lead slug at about 750 fps was superior to a slightly faster 158 gr .357 lead slug in the .36 special cartridge.

Doc Holliday was reputed to have used a Colt Thunderer, among other weapons and Billy the Kid and John Wesley Hardin preferred them so in its day the old .41 Colt definitely had a following

.40 bores don't seem to fare well. The .38-40, and .41 Colt are now obsolete and only seen in a few niche markets. The .41 Magnum and 10mm Auto are still produced but have a limited following and even the .40 S&W is starting to wane a little.
    Last edited by Art; 11-08-2020 at 11:19.

Default cartridge conversions

Some recent indoor shooting at around twenty feet using a rest. Both my Uberti Colt
    1861 and Uberti Colt 1851 shot nice targets, without the hollow base bullets maybe only
    two or three bullets would even hit the card (I know)dscn3179.jpgdscn3208.jpg

6. Default

hi guys GUNS & Ammo printed on book on gunfighters & there weapons , the serial number may be in the book .

hope this helps,