Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doc Holliday Colt 1872 revolver ?

This photo is from a "Guns & Ammo" magazine article from the late 1960's and
    was reported to be one of Doc Holliday's Colt revolvers. Without any supporting
    documentation, it is difficult to know. I used this photo as a guide to build up
    a cartridge conversion on a incomplete Uberti 1851 that was found at a gunshow
    years ago. I used a Legal Defender 38 S&W cylinder and built the ejector housing,
    recoil plate and loading gate. Also used a Colt SA mainspring too.P1010056_0051_051.jpgP1010009_0008.jpg

Default shooting the cartridge conversions

Before I converted the Uberti 1851 Colt to cartridge, I had also converted a very
    incomplete Uberti 1861 Colt. When I found the Uberti 1861, it was missing the
    following parts: cylinder, wedge, loading lever. I did use a Legal Defender 1851
    cylinder making a new recoil plate, ejector housing, wedge and loading gate.

Now I found the best way (I think) to shoot 357-358 dia lead bullets though a
    very oversized bore. I made hollow based bullets and use light loads with Unique
    for indoor ranges and black powder for outdoor ranges. There use to be heeled
    bullet moulds around but you need to bore out the cylinder chambers. I find
    the hollow base soft lead to work.P1010014.jpgdscn3175.jpg

wow. that's a nice piece of work. doc would be proud. thanks for posting.

if I may ask sir? what type of hollow base bullet are you using? does it come from a mold or something you made up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    if I may ask sir? what type of hollow base bullet are you using? does it come from a mold or something you made up?
    hollow base wadcutters maybe??

curious myself, and how accurate they are

I tried Speer WC hollow base soft lead bullets and they were not very consistent for groups of five or
    six rounds. I have brass collets for my Southbend lathe and used a 19/64 inch drill and made my own
    hollow base 357-358 dia bullets. This will reduce the bullet weight from 148 grs to 130 grs much the
    same weight as the original. It is worth a little extra time to make bullets that shoot better

thanks for the reply.

Default hollow base bullets

Here are photos of my home made hollow base bullets for my 1861 conversionP1010018.jpgP1010016.jpg

Blog Entries

turning a hollow base wadcutter into a hollow base keith style,, of sorts?

10. Default

kind of like a minie. what cartridge did they use in the original .36 cap and ball conversions?