1. Default Odd SA Barrel Markings

Greetings All

I want to apologize in advance if this topic has been hashed out prior to my query.

Someone brought in a pair of Greek return M1903 rifles at the Salem, Va. Gun Show today. These exhibited the usual mishmash of parts and finishes. One had a matching 1.4 m SA serial w/o Hatcher mod and an 8-35 SA barrel. It was in pinned A3 wood and had an SC bolt. I advised the owner that it held the basis for a mid-1930's M1903 restoration in either a GG or C stock. I realize that SA wasn't really producing service rifles in that time period so there might be some parts latitude available. But it had the ghastly salt-blued finish.

The other rifle was also salt blued. But. It had an RIA SHT receiver just above 40K, and an SA 1-13 barrel on it. The receiver had been Hatchered, and blued over the old case finish. The barrel markings were a first for me and that's why I am here, aside from saying howdy. The flaming bomb above the barrel date had an S stamped into the center of the shell. And there was a fraction hand punched into the barrel below the date. Please see, and pardon the quality of the pic (my flip phone). But the marking intrigued me greatly and raised a question of both origin and purpose.

The muzzles of both weapons had been wallered out to a solid 3+ and I therefore advised the seller that $450.00 would be more than fair-for the seller.

Thanks again in advance and a truly Merry Christmas to all of my old CSP M1903 friends and fiends.

Pete Davis in Western Virginia

unnamed.jpg

Seasons' Greetings!

Hi, Pete! As Balboa was quoted as saying when walking across Panama, "Long time, no sea!"

My best guess is that C 17 is the barrel steel lot code. But that code doesn't fit in my data base of 1913 barrel steel lot codes. And, of course, barrel steel lot codes were normally stamped further down on the barrel. So I'm not certain what the marking is.

The "S" in the ordnance bomb is unusual, but not uncommon in 1913-vintage barrels. The meaning of the "S" is unknown, but has been observed occasionally in barrels of that vintage.

Thanks for your posting! And Merry Christmas!

J.B.

3. Default

Is there any evidence whatsoever that SA might have sent barrels to RIA? Exclusive of the later shipments that created the hybrid rifles we often see. I wonder how these got together. Perhaps in overhaul, good barrel/good receiver, rifle out? PD
    Last edited by PeteDavis; 12-26-2019 at 03:44.

Seasons' Greetings!

I am not aware of any evidence that SA sent barrels to RIA during the 1913 time period. On the contrary. RIA was still making barrels and rifles through September, 1913.

An RIA S/N 40K receiver would have been made around 1906. So an SA/1-13 barrel was most likely a replacement installed during overhaul circa 1913 when the original barrel was shot out. And the overhaul could have been done anywhere, including overseas.

Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Does it match any RIA steel lot codes? Any other markings further down the barrel?

Mike

Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by Mike D; 12-28-2019 at 12:04.

6. Default

Unfortunately I no longer have the rifle in hand. I looked at the steel codes of RIA in the Ferris book. nothing close.

PD

That C 17 is far more likely to be some Greek thing than any U.S. thing.
    Rummage around here. http://m1903.com/
    Spelling and grammar count!