Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pre WW2 Springfield M1 rifles

Group of pre WW2 Springfield rifles with solid butt plates. How many
    gas trap rifles are in this photo ?dscn1080.jpg

Four?

less than four

Blog Entries

2 on the chair, the rest look (hard to see all from the glare and the monitor I am on) like standard M1's

The gas trap was discontinued long before the Rifle made it to mass production. Primarily because the gas trap required a great deal of extra cleaning time.
    Supposedly, only 18,000(depending on the source. Some say 50,000.) gas trap rifles were ever made and most were destroyed by the U.S. Army in 1947. The rest were rebuilt using the gas hole and Production rifles used that gas system starting in late 1940.
    I see 2, for sure, the picture angles are off to see if there are more. However, the receiver S/N will matter. There is a lot of fake stuff out there.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The gas trap was discontinued long before the Rifle made it to mass production. Primarily because the gas trap required a great deal of extra cleaning time.
    Supposedly, only 18,000(depending on the source. Some say 50,000.) gas trap rifles were ever made and most were destroyed by the U.S. Army in 1947. The rest were rebuilt using the gas hole and Production rifles used that gas system starting in late 1940.
    I see 2, for sure, the picture angles are off to see if there are more. However, the receiver S/N will matter. There is a lot of fake stuff out there.
    where did you get this info?

my understanding is most were rebuild in 41, new barrel, gas system, and welding the fix for the 7th round issues,

my 3 digit serial number, shows both the weld mark, and has a 41 dated barrel,

my brothers 3 digit serial number as well (he was reparked and rebuilt later (or more often) than mind)

both work as they should,

Appears to be three in the photo. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Default Gas Trap rifles

bruce is correct, there are three gas trap rifles serial numbered: 12K and 42K still missing some parts needed to complete and
    a 41K serial number that has all original parts and is complete now. Gas trap production end in July 1940 but gas port production
    started in June 1940dscn1070.jpgP1010034_0032.jpgP1010035_0030.jpg

How many gas traps in this photo? Wish you could see the photo in large enough detail, but under magnification every rifle appears to be a gas trap.

Actual photo is 27" long.

Inscription on picture:

Co. K. 159th INF. C.N.G. Capt. Stanley Dettmer, Comdg. off.

4th Army Maneuvers, Grand Mound, Washington 1940

Default pre war M1 rifles and Model 1918A1 BAR's

Excellent photo of the pre WW2 weapons, also very rare photos of the 1937 Model 1918A1 BAR with the
    first bipod that was issued. This model BAR entered and was use in the early part of WW2 until the newer
    model entered service.

photos show the 1937 BAR bipod, quite rare to find !P1010042.jpgP1010041.jpg