Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Because they are two different rifles and the No4 came around long after the ShtLE/SMLE was renamed the No1. Parts will not interchange between the two. Not even the screws unless someone forces one into the hole. The barrels clock opposite between the the two. One has the bolthead riding outside the rail while the other rides an inside rail. Etc.etc.etc.....
    I should add the short part is because its shorter than the long lees but still not a carbine. A short rifle and why they added five inches of pike length to the 1907 bayonet.
    Magazine because its magazine fed and charger loaded.
    Lee because they retained the Lee designed action.
    Enfield due to the Enfield designed rifling.
    SMLE is not an abbreviated single name. Its a conglomeration of 4 separate things.
    The No4 retained very few of the original traits as it was designed for cottage industry parts supply. They look familiar though.

Hope that helps?

BTW, the No2 is a rimfire and the No3 is the P14. Just in case you were wondering.
    Yup Thanks. Wish I hadn't sold my #1Mk3, but regret selling lots of things.
    I should have been born old - would have known better.

2. Default

So far, I 've encountered scammers trying to sell Indian wood No4Mk2 fore arms. Did find a very few
    British No.4Mk2 fore arms in poor condition or so outrageously priced, it was far far cheaper to buy another rifle and forget restoring this sporterized rifle.

I'll succeed but I'll pay out the nose and have to import a proper Brit for end from UK. That is the price for success.

Apex does not have what I need, SARCO doesn't respond to questions so that I can buy with confidence, Ebay/Gun Broker listers offer only spongy Indian wood, Springfield Sporters is out of business. I may have to take a trip to Gun Parts and see what they got ..thats a option before I reach to England.

Stay away from No.4Mk2 ... far more parts around for No4Mk1.

Thanks all for trying to help.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Don't really understand why a #4 shouldn't be termed SMLE
    after all the number 4 takes the same basic 'Short' magazine as earlier #1 Mk3 known as the SMLE

( I went through boot camp with a #4)
    '
    I don't really understand why Ford don't call the 'Fusion' a 'Mustang', they both are manufactured by Ford, they both have 4-wheels, both have an engine, both have doors etc etc.

When I see your online handle The Armourer I automatically think of the real The Armourer who passed away a couple years ago. Well known on all the British/Commonwealth boards and a helpful contributor off forum. A well known seller worldwide when it came to providing Lee Enfield parts including some of the rare, hard to find bits and pieces.
    An armourer for the New Zealand forces and custom gunsmith out of Christchurch NZ. His expertise was priceless.

So,don't be surprised if you get highly technical inquiries and/or polite requests for assistance. Robbie left some pretty big footprints in a pretty big shadow for you to follow. It'll take a good number of years to fade I'm sure. Some of the more recent/less frequent visitors may be unaware of his early demise.
    Last edited by JB White; 12-31-2019 at 11:01.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Armourer View Post
    '
    I don't really understand why Ford don't call the 'Fusion' a 'Mustang', they both are manufactured by Ford, they both have 4-wheels, both have an engine, both have doors etc etc.
    IIRC, the Fusion was originally going to be called the Mustang, till the Mustang folks heard about it and had a fit,

6. Default

How's about this (or is this the same 'Indian' stuff you have already found) ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-ENFIELD...-/264540515171
    Last edited by The Armourer; 01-05-2020 at 05:07.

7. Default

See that faint FR on stock.....Indian as curry. Photos cleverly don't show screw in forend.

Buyer beware

Blog Entries

interesting it is marked FR under the butt plate,

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    See that faint FR on stock.....Indian as curry. Photos cleverly don't show screw in forend.

Buyer beware
    Meaning the way they show only one side of the fore end from different angles, thus giving the glance shopper the impression they've seen both sides? Clever indeed. Although I can think of stronger words.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

"...Number 4 takes the same basic 'Short' magazine..." The mag has nothing to do with a No. 1 being called 'Short'. The No. 1 was called 'Short' because it was designed for use by both Cavalry and Infantry. Prior to the No. 1 there was a long barreled Infantry rifle and a shorter, but not always carbine length, Cavalry rifle.
    Anyway, SMLE is more correctly written, S,M,LE. As in Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield.
    "...reach to England..." I think, but am not sure, that there would be daft export rules for firearm parts.
    Spelling and grammar count!