Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Attachment 46814

This is from Mallory’s book. One wonders where all those oilers ended up. Most likely in the same hole where they buried all those early Krag rifle cleaning rods!
    Last edited by Kragrifle; 12-07-2019 at 07:13.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Attachment 46814

This is from Mallory’s book. One wonders where all those oilers ended up. Most likely in the same hole where they buried all those early Krag rifle cleaning rods!
    maybe bannerman got them. thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by free1954; 12-07-2019 at 08:24.

Finding one on ebay shows that they are out there, although no one knows where.
    Although I don't intend to sell mine (like everyone else that has collected Krags at one time or another this has been on my want list for a long time), would any care to venture a value? Like a lot of things, rarity doesn't necessarily equal high value. I've had a discussion with a dedicated Krag collector and we sort of settle on $300-400, but then we didn't have one in front of us.

I wouldn't disagree with that valuation. For most people (I believe) while accessories are "nice", the ARMS are the thing. And, at this point in my life (collecting AND physical) I don't think I'd pay that much if I found one - I'm at the "if I cannot flat out STEAL it, I'll do without" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with that valuation. For most people (I believe) while accessories are "nice", the ARMS are the thing. And, at this point in my life (collecting AND physical) I don't think I'd pay that much if I found one - I'm at the "if I cannot flat out STEAL it, I'll do without" phase.
    Thanks Dick, I would agree with that statement as I wouldn't pay that much (and as an aside, didn't) for a pocket oiler. On the other hand, it's nice to have one.
    One other thing, I noted the seller's comment that the oiler came from a Veteran's estate, and it appears he was in the 31st Infantry Division. One of their campaigns was in the Philippines, and I'm wondering if most of these pocket oilers (based upon the exert posted in this thread) went to the Philippines for use during the Philippine Insurrection. If I remember right we were fighting there until 1902, and after than fought the Moros in the southern Philippines. It may just be that most of the oilers didn't come back from that theater, and that the Veteran picked this up while in the Philippines in WW2. Just a theory, nothing much more to go on.

IIRC - The (watch-size) "Pocket Oilers" are mentioned in one of 'The Chief of Ordnance - Annual Reports'. The need for more oil became apparent during tropical campaigns.

The 'Brophy page' above, says they were intended to be carried by Sergeants and contained Sperm Whale Oil.

The very common Krag 'cartridge-size' Oil-Bottle was carried in altered rifle & carbine butt-traps. For Krags lacking a butt-trap, it was carried in a Mill's Belt cartridge loop.
    These smaller capacity oil-bottles were described, in 'Annual Reports', as containing cosmoline-oil.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-09-2019 at 09:07.

Only one I ever held in the flesh was in Bill Mook's collection. Great catch.

8. Default

If you find one for $500, buy it.

What C W Post said in his book was that there was no oil or grease available in Cuba. The soldiers used salt pork fat to grease down their weapons. Kept the rain off but the salt in that grease did its job. A lot of those weapons went to the arsenal for a refurb after the men came back. I'd bet a lot of the damage was due to not having oil for them..

jn

Just an observation re: oil and grease in tropical climates.................the more things change, the more they stay the same.

During the onset of WWII in the Pacific, troops had problems with the M1 freezing up after a heavy rain. The establishment conclusion was to find a way to keep the right bolt lug oiled. They were talking about drilling a hole in the rear of the bolt and packing it with lint. The lint would then be soaked in oil. John Garand's solution was "Why don't you just use grease?"

Fast forward to Vietnam and the M16............and the development of LSA.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain