Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I know it will be entertainment-driven tales and such, but I plan to watch it.
    There are far, far too few tales told about World War I, and far too many tales of great and terrible acts that should not be forgotten. I hope some day to see a "Battle of Jutland" movie that does some justice to the event.

RE the, "losing 1600 men in a massacre", ..... My son (23, USAF veteran) and I were awaiting the beginning of "Midway" last week and the video preview for this "1917". When that phrase was said, my son noted, "... as if British generals would have cared about that, then...". Very true. Still, I hope for a good movie.
    Tommy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Don't know what your problem is, Lyman. You want to stare at the uniforms and make sure that they have the correct boots and rifle slings. I listen to the words coming out of the officers' mouths. Both are evaluations of realism within the context of what may or may not turn out to be a popcorn film. Different directors bring different sensibilities. "Dunkirk" did it one way, "Wonder Woman" did it another.
    I have not a problem,

I'm already planning to see this one Sat after Christmas,
    and I'll probably see Midway tomorrow night,

if hollywood messes it up to much, then so be it,

so far the previews look good, (did read someone ask on another forum why they cut the grass in no man's land, LOL)

and it looks to be cast well (Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch typically perform well)

like M1 tommy said, there are way to few good WW1 movies, and doubt this one will be like Flyboys,,,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I'm already planning to see this one Sat after Christmas,
    and I'll probably see Midway tomorrow night,

if hollywood messes it up to much, then so be it,
    IMHO, "Midway" was watchable and entertaining. It has considerable Hollyweird-ness but , if you let yourself go along, it is entertaining and uplifting.
    Tommy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M1Tommy View Post
    IMHO, "Midway" was watchable and entertaining. It has considerable Hollyweird-ness but , if you let yourself go along, it is entertaining and uplifting.
    Tommy
    honestly , most of them do (the hollywierdness) but as long as they are entertaining

here's another that shows potential,

hopefully they do it as well as Band of Brothers was done

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...is-on-the-way/

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    ...........here's another that shows potential,

hopefully they do it as well as Band of Brothers was done

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...is-on-the-way/
    Yep, I too hope that is well done, and look forward to watching it.

Although I'd rather see a movie about the Battle off Samar, this may be good:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6048922/

Actually the entire Battle of Leyte Gulf would be worthy of a multi-part movie....

Tommy

Blog Entries

I'm at a gunshow this weekend,
    there is a guy here that sells DVD's, mostly war movies,
    a lot are European, (subtitled) that look very interesting,

I usually go by a couple times (if I can get away from the tables for a few) and look his stuff over,

he has multiple TV's set up showing a different genre on each,

WW1 is a tough one. People focus on the trenches too much. Better would be the opening weeks, say a screenplay of The Guns of August, or maybe a good treatment of small unit action in the Argonne-Meuse.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by M1Tommy View Post
    I know it will be entertainment-driven tales and such, but I plan to watch it.
    There are far, far too few tales told about World War I, and far too many tales of great and terrible acts that should not be forgotten. I hope some day to see a "Battle of Jutland" movie that does some justice to the event.

RE the, "losing 1600 men in a massacre", ..... My son (23, USAF veteran) and I were awaiting the beginning of "Midway" last week and the video preview for this "1917". When that phrase was said, my son noted, "... as if British generals would have cared about that, then...". Very true. Still, I hope for a good movie.
    Tommy

indeed. i'll go and see it on the big screen, no matter what the reviews are.

I thought it was pretty decent, PC raised its head with “unlikely for WW-1 minorities” mixed in with the Tommies of old. The only thing I can nitpick other than that is why only one stripper clip of 5 in their Enfields as they pushed off into No Man’s Land.

Blog Entries

I had planned to see it last weekend after the gunshow,

but,,,,,,,,

while it was released on the day promised,, it was only available in one theater in DC,,

all the theaters near the show and the hotel we were in did not start until Jan 10th,,

so, since we did not want to venture into DC,, (traffic is horrible even at night) we will go next weekend