Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I'm thinning out my carbines... Link to Pictures Added

I have finally decided to let 6 of my M1 carbines go. Pricing them is confusing me. All are CMP SG rifles purchased in 2008 (Italian returns).

Makers are Rockola, Quality Hardware, Saginaw, National Postal Meter, Saginaw S'G', and Standard Products. I know the Rockola and Saginaw S'G' are probably more collectible than some of the others but how much more collectible? I have looked at completed sales on Gunbroker and prices seem to vary quite a lot. All these rifles meet CMP requirements for SG's and I have fired them all. All function properly and have good solid wood stocks. Some stocks are a little more dinged than others, but all are sound. Metal finishes vary, but all are in at least good+ shape. No sling, oiler or magazine came with these rifles, I bought repro slings/oilers and got GI magazines from CMP for each. Any thoughts on general prices for these rifles? One other plus is I have the boxes these rifles were shipped in and ALL the paperwork that came with them.
    Click on the link for pictures. http://www.fototime.com/inv/726595D8F46911C
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 11-15-2019 at 04:14. Reason: Add link to pictures / additional info

Blog Entries

go thru them and do up a data sheet for each

not to offend anyone, but carbine collectors are some of the most OCD folks I have ever met, you will likely get 2,589 questions no matter where you post them for sale,

CMP will bring a bit of a premium for no other reason than it's a CMP gun,

all correct will bring a high price point, down to just the receiver is made by xxx,,,a much lower price point

and of course condition, condition, condition,

Prices on Gun Broker might be the place to start.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    go thru them and do up a data sheet for each

not to offend anyone, but carbine collectors are some of the most OCD folks I have ever met, you will likely get 2,589 questions no matter where you post them for sale,

CMP will bring a bit of a premium for no other reason than it's a CMP gun,

all correct will bring a high price point, down to just the receiver is made by xxx,,,a much lower price point

and of course condition, condition, condition,
    I will not do a data sheet for each. I am NOT selling these rifles for parts. They are shooters, they are mixmasters and I really don't want to see them sold to someone who just wants to part them out. Condition is EXACTLY how they arrived from the CMP, I will provide pictures related to condition, but will NOT do close ups of every part to identify each maker. Sorry but I'm not desperate to sell these rifles. I would really like to see them go to those who appreciate their history for what they are and not for which of their parts are "collectible", if that means I don't get top dollar for them, so be it. I'd like to see them go to people who will take them out and shoot them.

I thought I made it clear what these rifles are in my original post. They ARE NOT all correct rifles (which probably DON'T even exist), they are NOT being represented as such, they ARE CMP Service Grade rifles and nice working examples of this type of rifle. To me, it's about the history of the rifle, not all the tiny little details of each part. I don't mean to be rude, but my rifles are what they are and I just need some input about values of them as they are.

5. Default

I have a QHMC that is in the same condition as the ones you have and I have been asking $850 for it. It has quite a bit of interest but as yet no bites. So in that range is where you could start and if you want then you can come down a little, but I wouldn't go much lower.

Any prices suggested would be a guess or a range due to condition and parts.

I can understand you not wanting to take the bolt apart ( I wouldn't either ) but most other parts ID only involve removal of the stock and buyers shelling out hundreds are going to want to know the manufacturers but your call--your guns.

As m1ashooter suggested, completed auctions from GB are a good source as to what the general public will pay currently.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 11-15-2019 at 09:29.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    I will not do a data sheet for each. I am NOT selling these rifles for parts. They are shooters, they are mixmasters and I really don't want to see them sold to someone who just wants to part them out. Condition is EXACTLY how they arrived from the CMP, I will provide pictures related to condition, but will NOT do close ups of every part to identify each maker. Sorry but I'm not desperate to sell these rifles. I would really like to see them go to those who appreciate their history for what they are and not for which of their parts are "collectible", if that means I don't get top dollar for them, so be it. I'd like to see them go to people who will take them out and shoot them.

I thought I made it clear what these rifles are in my original post. They ARE NOT all correct rifles (which probably DON'T even exist), they are NOT being represented as such, they ARE CMP Service Grade rifles and nice working examples of this type of rifle. To me, it's about the history of the rifle, not all the tiny little details of each part. I don't mean to be rude, but my rifles are what they are and I just need some input about values of them as they are.
    OK then,

as someone who is in the business, I was just trying to help you prepare for the questions and comments you may get when you put these online or on your table etc,

beg you pardon IF THAT offended,

FWIW,
    I recently sold a S,G, mostly correct (and may have been a CMP , not sure, no paperwork, but others in the collect were) for $1600, and a NPM mixmaster for $1500

The RockOla may bring the same,

the rest, slightly less,

however, keep in mind I am on the EAST coast,, prices often vary by region

What others have sold carbines for in their areas doesn't mean those prices apply in your area. Prices seem to be area dependent with carbines. What would have been in my old area a $1000 carbine is only $800 where I am now. In general a good CMP carbine will be in the $900 range + or -. A Rock-Ola in the $1200 range same with a Winchester. An import marked carbine is a good $100 to $150 less. Condition is everything with these. Some feel the FAT marked stocks of the Italian returns devalue a carbine. In reality its part of the carbines history. But carbine collectors can be very anal retentive but that is their problems. Just be aware of them.

People wanting carbines for shooters aren't going to be concerned about make and correct parts as much as price. They would rather buy a commercial Plainfield or import marked GI carbine in order to buy it cheap. Your rifles are too good for that. As a seller I would think you would want as much as possible for your guns and that would be to reach as many people as possible.

The local gun and pawn shops would never put a Rock-ola carbine on the rack in hopes that someone off the street would come in and pay $1200. Instead, they would put it on GB or some other public listing service and sell it quickly and perhaps for more.

Same with guitars. A rare 1959 Gibson Les Paul isn't going to sell locally for the $10,000 it is worth but will bring that if published across the land. I've asked the pawn shops why do you not have guitars over the $150 mark? Don't people sell you the better stuff? The answer was when something nice comes in to the store it goes straight to ebay. In the case of a high dollar gun it would go straight to GB or other sources.

Generally speaking, six CMP carbines by the makers you've listed, in the condition you've listed, should bring $5K to $7K. Will the local folks come to your house with these funds?
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 11-15-2019 at 09:49.

"...They are shooters, they are mixmasters..." That does not mean that the condition doesn't matter. Gunbroker or one of the other auction sites, will give you a ball park estimate if nothing else.
    Keep on mind that there is no such thing as an "All correct Carbine." That's an internet myth, Anybody who tries to tell you they have one is confused. Or they made it that way. None of the makers made all the parts. Parts were made all over the Eastern U.S. And some makers made nothing but receivers with all the rest coming from those wee shops. And the Italians worked on 'em.
    Like Tuna says, where you are matters. Like everything else, prices will vary from place to place.
    You can get the numbers made aznd how many parts by maker here.
    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
    Spelling and grammar count!