Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Added a Forster Co-ax to the bench.

Listening to suggestions from folks, a Forster Co-ax was added to the bench for Veteran's day. De-capped and sized just under 1K of 6.5 Creedmoor cases today. They will get run through the Giraud trimmer tomorrow on their path to some fun shooting soon.
    Gonna take some getting used to with the operating handle a couple of feet higher than the Rockchucker I have been using for over half a century. I will get over it.

Pretty neat how it keeps the spent primers and associated yuck in a little bottle rather than all over the press, floor and operator.

Blog Entries

excellent presses,

I started on one in the mid 90's that was probably older than I am,

still use it more than any of the other 4 I have

Good to know.

Blog Entries

you get used to the swing,

I stand slightly to the side, and move just a bit as I work it,

you get used to the press and the way it 'feels',

beware tho, some tall precision dies will not work, (no clearance)

only ran into that once, and don't recall what die it was

my press is brown, painted that way with the crinkle paint,, not red, if that shows it's age,
    came form a now deceased Dr.
    he shot high power back in the 50's thru 70's.

I have his press, Forster Powder Measure, and the converted 1903 Springfield he shot with,

Working on it.
    I have a habit of putting a case in the press with my left hand and as my right hand operates the handle, I grab another case with my left hand , remover the sized case and put the next in the press in one operation with my left hand then toss the sized case in the box. After working for half a century into the left side of the Rockchucker, it sure feels strange having to go into the front. I am sure things will fall into place soon, but my left arm is killing me today from the contortions it went through yesterday.

Blog Entries

I don't have a pattern for sizing, I can load the press with either hand and swing it with my right,

seating I tend to have the case on my left, bullets on my right,

put the case in the press with my left, place the bullet with my right, (holding with my left if needed, and seating with my right hand, as in pulling the lever,

sounds way more complicated and convoluted than it is, I basically sway from one side to the other slightly when working it,

all that while standing, I do not sit and reload on that press or my Dillon 550,

Got the roller handle, led lights and offset linkage to allow better access to the cases.
    Ordered a shell holder adapter so I can still use all my RCBS competition seaters. I really like feeding the bullets in the side rather than the bottom.
    Oiled up the old Rock Chucker and put her in storage. After over half a century it was hard to replace her.

8. Default You two are doing this the hard way

Lyman...you know me so this ain't coming from a stranger.

Go to Inlinefabricartions.com and get the roller handle for the Co Ax press. I got both the long and short handles.... I find the short handle to be all I need. No more two step motions with a long handle on Co Ax. Save all that pussy footing for square dancing !

Get roller handle and not only does it make life easy, reloading faster but for older wrists and hands...its ergonomic !

But don't take my word right away, be stubborn and continue to do things as you are on the Co Ax. The lights will go on in your attic about how right I am ....sooner is better than later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    Lyman...you know me so this ain't coming from a stranger.

Go to Inlinefabricartions.com and get the roller handle for the Co Ax press. I got both the long and short handles.... I find the short handle to be all I need. No more two step motions with a long handle on Co Ax. Save all that pussy footing for square dancing !

Get roller handle and not only does it make life easy, reloading faster but for older wrists and hands...its ergonomic !

But don't take my word right away, be stubborn and continue to do things as you are on the Co Ax. The lights will go on in your attic about how right I am ....sooner is better than later.

Sure is nice to have a little discussion going. To opine is as American as it gets.