Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richard Hosmer

There's one on eBay for $1K right now, but I would ask for more pictures!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Scabbard's obviously bogus and of zero value, so the blade better be PRISTINE. Definitely need to see more.

Saw that one but it is not the knife I was talking about. The one that would have been issued with the 1,000 1880 TRB would have had an iron guard. There were only 1000 made and numbered up to 1000.
    There were many more made with the brass guard but various scabbards. I believe the short loop is more uncommon than the brass hook type.
    After I pay for the 1880 TRB I most likely won't have funds for either the common brass and definitely not the Iron guard hunting knife LOL!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Al has a nice one for half the price of that one with the correct scabbard.

Well, it was on Ebay, for $1000, so I didn't look any further. You mean there is an iron guard on there for $1000 as well? Which knife WERE you talking about, then?

The LONG loop may be the rarest - if not , then the Varney is. The short loop is 'in the middle' and the brass hook IS the most often seen.

No Dick, there is no Iron guard on Ebay just the brass guard. I was talking about the Iron guard in a previous comment on this post and Tkacook said that there was one on Ebay. I replied to him that it was the brass guard not the Iron. I may have jumped on a 1000.00 Iron guard, not literally LOL!!
    There are 2 BRASS guards on Mc Pheeters with the short loop and a long price tag : )
    As I said in a priviouse comment that there were only a couple Iron guards I saw like the on up for sale on RIA. Those prices are out of my RANGE!! Al had one on his sight in 03 and is still listed. His price was 3495.00. Sadly though it was stolen which might be why he still has it listed just in case Maybe someone comes across it. Serial # is 580.

I didn't mean to confuse. I honestly couldn't tell much about it from the two terrible pictures and the comment was meant more as a joke. These are not my area since I could never justify dropping that kind of money on something like that.

Andy
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Much as I like Ken, ANYTHING on his site will have a long price tag!

He has clearly reached the point (and kudos to him for doing so) where he literally does it for the fun of it, and if you do not like his price you can pound sand.

Not a problem Tkacook. The pictures are rather horrible. I also can not see spending that kind of money on a knife but to each their own.

Dick, just picked up my TRB!!!! It's really nice and now I know the full serial number. It seems to be in your book, 156755. All works well, butt plate latch and lock. Since you have the serial# maybe you could tell me about it? Will be putting the number on the bulletin board on Al's site.

Unfortunately, the only numbers that I kept data on were the 1873 carbines. With hindsight, I wish I had done the others, but it's too late now. Numbers in my book come from arms I have owned, seen, had reported to me by people whose expertise I trusted, saw in catalogs, in SRS, at shows, etc. To the extent that such is possible when you cannot personally handle something, I believe that all (or at least 99%+) are genuine, but I have no historical data on them.