Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richard Hosmer

Allen, as Dick said there were only 1000 of this variant produced.

Thanks Dick, I read in your book that it is common to find 2 circle P cartouche marks but not about being possibly 2 SWP cartouche marks
    How could they be upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Allen: The ones in the 155-157k range with the sliding TRIANGULAR (not to be confused with the much later, dirt-common, ROUND rod) bayonet are scarce if not rare - only 1000 were made. You need my book on the rare TDS! $25 to POB 1367 Colusa CA 95932, signed, postpaid.

Carl: Two SWP stamps are commonly found on that model - they went back to SA for work on the latch, which never worked well. I'd take the better one though. One thing for sure you DON'T want mine, in fact I'd be ashamed to offer it next to those. It is strictly a "space-filler" while either of those would be a keeper - not that they couldn't be upgraded but you'd never NEED to.
    Thanks Dick, I definitely missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Thanks Dick, I read in your book that it is common to find 2 circle P cartouche marks but not about being possibly 2 SWP cartouche marks
    How could they be upgraded?
    It is presumed that is when the sliding key was added to the latch. It was apparently quite common for the rod to come forward under recoil.

Carl
    The 1880 is the only model I don't have other than the 1881 foraging shotgun. I just sent you a PM.
    Scout

Yep, I’d definitely get the rifle that hasn’t had its stock sanded.
    The one that has is forever depreciated. It can’t be made better.

Correct Fred, I don't think you could ever find another none sanded stock??? Thought I would never find a stock for my 1870 but Al Frasca had a really nice one, quess I got lucky!!

- - - Updated - - -

cowtownscout, sent you a PM.

Do not forget to get the Iron guard knife with Varney scabbard that was issued with the rifles. Makes a nice set.

Well Tom, I'm sure they are much harder to find!! I saw 2, one was sold a while ago so no price was available. The other sold for 2600.00, more than I'm paying for the rifle LOL!!
    There are many with the brass handle up for grabs anywhere from a couple hundred to over a thousand. Al has one posted on his site for 525.00.

Here is one on RIA that sold for 4313,00
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...fe-with-sheath