Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Richard Hosmer

Well Dick, that was disappointing : ( It is a beautiful rifle though. Maybe SRS will have something on it. It looked to have some dust or some left over burn powder in the bore. I asked the salesman to look at it and he thought it may be pitting. Got home ran a patch down the bore and not a mark, pit, scratch just a shinny deeply rifled bore!!!
    The other rifle had many issues to the point that I would not buy it even if I needed to fill a hole in my collection. NOW!!! what next??
    I did see a 1865 short rifle on gun broker for 1550.00 I believe it is in your neck of the woods. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842359288

Sorry about that, but there is no way I could have kept track of EVERYTHING. The book is a GUIDE, not a summation of SA production records for a forty year period.

FWIW, that short '65 on GB is the one you do NOT want! Note altered wrist, and middle band not moved, leaving an ugly front end. The desirable version is the one without wrist work, and properly spaced bands.

No need to be sorry Dick.
    I understand you can't remember everything, I have a hard time remembering yesterday😁
    I use your book as a guide as intended and not a summation. I was unaware of the full serial number until I saw it today and then in your book.
    Thanks for pointing out those issues with the short rifle. I wouldn't have been able to buy it anyway as he is a private seller. It would not have been able to ship to NJ.