1. Default SRS Check Please For 1903 RIA?

I have a Greek return 1903 RIA serial 322371. Does anything show up? TIA! And what is something like this going for today? Overall 95 percent black Greek repark with a replacement SA 5-29 barrel in excellent shape.

The SA 5-29 could be the original barrel because SA used RIA receivers to build rifles in the late 20's. Nothing listed in SRS for that number.

The serial number is a little early for one of the "hybrid RIA/SAs - more likely just a simple replacement barrel.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The Greeks must have made it a common practice to replace the barrels on the '03s. Other owners of a Greek returned '03 that I've read about here and on other forums say their rifle has had its barrel replaced. The owners mostly commented on the excellent mechanical condition of their mixmaster '03s. Mine is also in excellent shape so a tip of the cap to the Greeks for taking such good care of our rifles.

The value of the Greek returned '03s in excellent shape is probably equal to a typical '03 in similar shape. The mixmaster status would probably supress the value some. I'd like to think a premium would be added to the value for the possible double duty service the rifle could have seen during WW2 and the Greek Civil War. Maybe someone who has dealt in firearms and is more familiar with Greek returns will comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The Greeks must have made it a common practice to replace the barrels on the '03s. Other owners of a Greek returned '03 that I've read about here and on other forums say their rifle has had its barrel replaced.
    I saw no evidence that the Greeks engaged in common barrel replacement. I did note, however, that a very high percentage of Greek rifles had been freshly overhauled at U.S. arsenals, which included barrel replacement, before being sent to Greece.

J.B.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    I saw no evidence that the Greeks engaged in common barrel replacement. I did note, however, that a very high percentage of Greek rifles had been freshly overhauled at U.S. arsenals, which included barrel replacement, before being sent to Greece.

J.B.

I would guess they all went thru post war refurb, and instead of storage, sent to Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I would guess they all went thru post war refurb, and instead of storage, sent to Greece?
    Yes. The Japanese surrender did not end all threats to U.S. security. The Soviet Union and their Chinese minions quickly filled the threat void left by the German and Japanese surrenders.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-03-2019 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post

J.B.
    Thanks for clearing that up.