Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Would take a hard pass....

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Lyman, no I don’t have this rifle available to me to take more photos.

- - - Updated - - -

I know the military had changed some garand rifle numbers I’m assuming because they had Springfield and WRA with the same serial numbers.
    All was done was the letter A etched at end of serial.

Actually not all of them were marked with an A. I’ve seen photos here a few years back was interesting.

yes but I do not believe any were ground off and restamped. They were only etched A if two rifles with same serial were together, otherwise there was no reason to.

No the photos I’ve seen here on this site during a discussion about this same subject were a few photos of redone serial numbers with no A. This was a few years ago but this I remember that is why I posted this photo.

As stated the military didn’t renumber any weapons because of a duplicate serial number. There are numerous examples of serial number over runs in WWII production including Garands, carbines, 03/A3s and 1911A1s and they weren’t restamped with new numbers.According to what I’ve seen and read the duplicates were stamped with an A either as a suffix or prefix.
    Last edited by twh; 10-30-2019 at 06:52.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    As stated the military didn’t renumber any weapons because of a duplicate serial number. There are numerous examples of serial number over runs in WWII production including Garands, carbines, 03/A3s and 1911A1s and they weren’t restamped with new numbers.According to Wharton’s I’ve seen and read the duplicates were stamped with an A either as a suffix or prefix.
    Agreed, either stamped or left alone and nothing done

Well then I was reading here and saw the photos here about changed serial numbers. It was awhile back. But I know what I read and saw. I agree there was usually an A stamped but these were unusual. I had enough of this subject. I quit. This isn’t the same place as it used to be.

No need to get upset because we don't agree with you. Just because you saw it discussed before doesn't mean it was correct information. This is a place for everyone to learn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    No need to get upset because we don't agree with you. Just because you saw it discussed before doesn't mean it was correct information. This is a place for everyone to learn
    well said