Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1 garand 1967 Winchester barrels

Ok I probably know this but seems I forget more than remember. Was the Winchester M1 Garand replacement barrel I think only one year 1967 ever used by the military and in particular the USMC? Thank you for your time and answers

The Marine Corps had been using the M14 for quite some time by 1967.

Blog Entries

when did the National Guard and Army Reserve stop?

my Father was a Weapons Tech (full time civilian, weekend AR) and I have his gauges from when the Garand's were in the system,

Schools also had a pile of them, (as in JROTC\ROTC and military schools)

one local high school had them as late as 2003 (not Drill guns, )

Most of the "script" Winchester 67 dated barrels were found on the imports like Blue Sky. Most are in very poor
    condition too and it would be uncommon to find one in nice condition. I do not know of any connection to the
    USMC. It would appear these Winchester barrels were used in late rebuilds in rifles sent to other nations

I recall looking at a O-67 rifle a few years ago and it had a Winchester 67 barrel but I didn’t see any import marks on it. It did if I remember correctly had a eagle stamp.

"...when did the National Guard and Army Reserve stop?..." The Kent State shootings were in 1970. The Ohio NG were using M1 Rifles at that time.
    I'm not seeing any mention of Winchester making any M1 Rifles or parts after 1945.
    http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsComponent.aspx
    Spelling and grammar count!

Winchester got the contract to produce some M1 rifle barrels which were supplied in 1967 as Springfield was not
    able to produce M1 barrels in 1967. Just like Ferro Machine & Foundry produced a short of M1 rifle barrels in 1956,
    of which most went overseas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...when did the National Guard and Army Reserve stop?..." The Kent State shootings were in 1970. The Ohio NG were using M1 Rifles at that time.
    I'm not seeing any mention of Winchester making any M1 Rifles or parts after 1945.
    http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsComponent.aspx
    the barrels exist, I have seen a handful of them, and marked with the Winchester script type logo ,

I don't recall if the ones I saw were import M1's or not
    Last edited by lyman; 10-27-2019 at 03:55.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Winchester got the contract to produce some M1 rifle barrels which were supplied in 1967 as Springfield was not
    able to produce M1 barrels in 1967. Just like Ferro Machine & Foundry produced a short of M1 rifle barrels in 1956,
    of which most went overseas
    I have a 3.87M SA rifle with one of these barrels, marked 7-67. I bought it directly from Springfield Sporters. Word was (published in American Rifleman) the lot it came from was imported from Colombia. It's a very nice rifle, easily NRA VG, and an excellent shooter.

10. Default

Like others have said I have seen them on Blue Sky and Arlington imports during the 90s. Most barrels were used heavily and put away wet.