Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Well it only took 9 months or so, but I finally got the M1888 back out to the range and got it on paper. Stayed at the 50 yard line this time out, and was able to figure things out. This was about at dozen rounds, holding at the very bottom of the target at 50 yards, hitting about 14" high:

As before with the M1873, very pleased with how this old warhorse shoots. Still going strong, 129 years later.

ETA I'm not ignoring the advice about the single black bull, I promise! I'm just cheap and already have a stash of the red targets, LOL.
    Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 11-03-2020 at 02:00.

The '73 certainly cleaned up nicely!! Have patience with the shooting - when you get things completely right, they should all go in the white (9 ring) at 50 yds.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 11-03-2020 at 03:33.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    The '73 certainly cleaned up nicely!! Have patience with the shooting - when you get things completely right, they should all go in the white (9 ring) at 50 yds.
    Yes it did! Beginners luck with that purchase.

And 100% believe both of these guns are way more accurate than I am. I know this is the internet where we all make 7 figures and are married to supermodels, but I’ll honestly admit I’m a barely adequate shot, if that. My theory of shooting right now is wanting to hit an 8 inch paper plate, faster if close, slower if far away.

I’ve promised myself that someday when my kids are older and my career slows down I will take the time to try and become the best shot I can, but for now when I can only get out once every few months...good enough for social purposes and making some noise and smoke with some pieces of American history will have to suffice. Alas.

Great photo’s!

Nice!! Great job cleaning those rifles up, they look great. I love finding a TD that's been neglected then returning it as close as possible to it's former glory.
    My recent was a stared carbine manufactured in 1881 and NJ marked, which is not a favorite of TD collectors : (
    It was covered in some kind of goo and had paint spots all over it. It cleaned up nicely and all the paint was removed. The bore has some pitting near the muzzle but it shoots rather well at 100 yards, 200 yards is a challenge with my old eyes LOL!!! I only paid 1000.00 for it but I feel that I have restored a historic piece of American history like yourself. Here are some photos.
    IMG_20190921_161705352.jpgIMG_20190921_170021483.jpgIMG_20190922_154348267 (1).jpgIMG_20190922_154631038.jpg