Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I do this:

1. Rough cut about 3/16" off the .30-06 case neck.

2. Anneal the area around the shoulder with my plumbing torch.

3. Lube the cases. A heavy lube seems better than One Shot for this.

4. Put my 8x57 sizing die in the press. I use a feeler gauge between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder to increase distance from case head to the shoulder.

5. Trim with the length adjusted to include feeler gauge blade of choice.

Beyond that just load and shoot normally. A G-43 being a hard to replace item my loads are on the light end, and I put a restrictor in the gas piston throat (a steel blind rivet works great).

I'm probably doing it wrong but when I pull the trigger, the cases aren't asked to stretch much during obturation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    I do this:

1. Rough cut about 3/16" off the .30-06 case neck.

2. Anneal the area around the shoulder with my plumbing torch.

3. Lube the cases. A heavy lube seems better than One Shot for this.

4. Put my 8x57 sizing die in the press. I use a feeler gauge between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder to increase distance from case head to the shoulder.

5. Trim with the length adjusted to include feeler gauge blade of choice.

Beyond that just load and shoot normally. A G-43 being a hard to replace item my loads are on the light end, and I put a restrictor in the gas piston throat (a steel blind rivet works great).

I'm probably doing it wrong but when I pull the trigger, the cases aren't asked to stretch much during obturation.
    slightly of topic,

have you thought of installing a shooters kit on that G43?

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    slightly of topic,

have you thought of installing a shooters kit on that G43?
    I did and actually did some business with Rob (good guy), but for as little as I shoot this gun, the rivet option gives me a nice impulse reduction. I forget the size I use but the effect is that the bolt picks up the next round but doesn't bang hard against travel limits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    I did and actually did some business with Rob (good guy), but for as little as I shoot this gun, the rivet option gives me a nice impulse reduction. I forget the size I use but the effect is that the bolt picks up the next round but doesn't bang hard against travel limits.
    what kind of lifespan are you getting out off the rivet?

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    what kind of lifespan are you getting out off the rivet?
    No deformation in version #2 after 25 rounds. Version #1 had the flange deforming to the conical shape of the piston throat. The difference was the length of the rivet. I trimmed back #2 to about 1/4" (roughly half the length), so the pressure drop across the restrictor is reduced. By folding back the shaft at the blind end (after a crosscut), it makes for a friction fit in the piston. This is not service grade but again for as little as I shoot the gun it is fine. It may not go out again for 3 years. G43s are tough on brass in extraction so before shooting again I'll have to make more anyways. Some parts do get swapped out for shooting, and IMO the best way to store it is with the bolt disassembled and the springs relaxed. It works for me. The ZF-4 is dialed in now so that 38gr of Varget with a 200gr HPBT gives decent groups. It's a fun day when it goes to the range.

6. Default

Redding sells shell holders that increase the deck height of the shell holder, I have never found it necessary to use the Redding Competition Shell holder because I adjust the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage. After making the adjustment I secure the die to the press with the lock ring.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-22-2020 at 12:22.