Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Single Heat Treated M1903 Bolts

Things you learn along the way. Many of you are probably already aware. I read this in the CMP booklet that came with the Greek returned M1903 rifle.

I knew about the dangers of firing an early numbered ‘03 due to a brittle receiver but was unaware that the same condition applies to early ‘03 bolts. They also were subjected to the single heat treating (SHT) process or the steel was “burnt” and they can also be brittle. The attached photo shows how to identify them.

7545824A-E6F9-4C87-AB3E-7316ECECAE82.jpg

Knew about it. Haven't seen one in a long long time. Picture shows the characteristics very well. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The bolts on my 1925 Springfield ‘03 and my 1943 Remington 03A3 are both 03A3 bolts from the 1940s. Both measure up well so they are safe to shoot.

The bolt on the Sprg ‘03 is a Rem with a large gas escape hole and an R stamped on the handle.

The bolt on the Rem 03A3 is a Sprg replacement with a large gas escape hole. It’s stamped BF 19 on the flat part of the handle (Bonny Forge, heat treat lot 1941).

Every once in awhile someone has a lot for sale of straight-handled bolt bodies. Practically impossible to give away.

"Single Heat Treated" is about the receivers, not the bolts. There's no mention of soft or brittle bolts in General Hatcher's Notebook. There's an entire chapter about the receiver issue though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Things you learn along the way. Many of you are probably already aware. I read this in the CMP booklet that came with the Greek returned M1903 rifle.

I knew about the dangers of firing an early numbered ‘03 due to a brittle receiver but was unaware that the same condition applies to early ‘03 bolts. They also were subjected to the single heat treating (SHT) process or the steel was “burnt” and they can also be brittle. The attached photo shows how to identify them.
    Official Army Ordnance documentation unequivocally states that, unlike low number receivers, straight handle bolts were NEVER removed from service unless worn or damaged. And the CMP was recently provided with copies of that documentation.

J.B.

Official Army Ordnance documentation unequivocally states that, unlike low number receivers, straight handle bolts were NEVER removed from service unless worn or damaged. And the CMP was recently provided with copies of that documentation.

J.B.
    Roll Tide. Reckon we will meet in a Bowel this year??? Tigers, that is........

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post

J.B.
    The booklet that contained the information and photos was from 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Roll Tide. Reckon we will meet in a Bowel this year??? Tigers, that is........

John in SC
    Maybe I'll see you two on TV.

Roll Tide !!!

There is still a demand for early bolts to be use in early rifles where the original bolt was replaced
    and in restorations of early rifles, Vi Shooters data provides all the information for proper identification