Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

I believe most people use the gauges because ther are easy and straight forward to use rather than some esoteric, maybe arcane process. Then they choose to adjust case length by bumping the shoulder....oh, my gosh, did I say "shoulderbump" in this thread....sorry folks. I may have just added pages to this thread.

2. Default

Then they choose to adjust case length by bumping the shoulder....oh, my gosh, did I say "shoulderbump" in this thread....sorry folks. I may have just added pages to this thread.
    OK, you can start by explaining how it is possible to bump the shoulder back and or move the shoulder back. I have tried to move the shoulder back as in shorten the case by moving the shoulder back with a die that has case body support; I have found it is impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has case body support.

Reloaders have dies, they do not understand what is happening when they use them. And then there is 'bump', bump is a function of the press. A friend died early last year; he had an A2 RCBS press, I measured the 'bump on that press. The bump on that press was .037", to verify the bump measure the cam over. The bump and the cam over measures the same.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

See, I said this would probably add pages to this thread.

Guffey, I don't feel the need to rehash the shoulder bump or headspace discussions which have been amply conducted here and on other forums. I do read your posts, but sometimes it seems there is something missing in what you say, kinda like giving a recepie and leaving out an ingredient.

4. Default

but sometimes it seems there is something missing in what you say, kinda like giving a recepie and leaving out an ingredient.
    That beats your usual wildly indigent response. I said I find it impossible to move the shoulder back; what is missing? You claim you can bump and or move the shoulder back, all I want to know is 'HOW do you move the shoulder back? I understand it is possible to shorten the case from the shoulder to the case head, I also know I have tried to shorten the case between the shoulder and case head I have found I can not shorten the case without case body support.

I have suggested reloaders scribe the case body/shoulder juncture before they start. If they were able to move the shoulder back the scribed line would move down the case body or it would wad up beneath the die.

The shoulder of the case has no choice but to move through the die.

I have turned cases into bellows or something that took on the appearance of an accordion when making attempts to move the shoulder back; the only way I could move the shoulder back was with a die that did not have case body support.

F. Guffey

5. Default

See, I said this would probably add pages to this thread.
    Have you ever measured cam over on a press? I have, I have presses that cam over and I have presses that do not cam over. Is it important to understand cam over? It makes a difference when adjusting the die to the shell holder?

When adjusting the die to the shell holder reloaders claim they use the .002" shoulder set back: I have asked where that technique/procedure cam from. Without knowing if the press is a cam over press the reloader has no clue as to what he is doing when making precision adjustments. BUT! He gets away with it because there are very few if any reloaders on reloading forums that know the difference.

the reloader claims "HE BUMPS" without knowing 'BUMP' is a function of the press.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-27-2020 at 09:30.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    That beats your usual wildly indigent response.
    F. Guffey
    I don't believe you mean indigent, but rather indignent. I don't see any acrimony in my response.

I have never said I bump case shoulders as you say. Others have argued your method; I read it and find it interesting but when you speak of tools you've made or modified, information about them seems lacking.

I do use my dies per their instructions, and generally understood set up procedures and I get 12 to 15+ reloads per case.

>

7. Default

I don't believe you mean indigent, but rather indignent.
    And you are correct but I believe you meant indignant.

I do use my dies per their instructions, and generally understood set up procedures and I get 12 to 15+ reloads per case.
    I have die adjustment instructions for most of my dies/presses, some of them go back to the late fifties, early sixties. My die instructions recommend adjusting the die down to the shell holder with a recommended additional 1/4 turn after contact. Again, a reloaders makes many claims their press cams over. I have at least 12 presses that cam over, of the press that cams over the instructions mentioned above are not correct instructions for a cam over press yet many reloaders cam over their press and there is not a one of them they can tell how much their press cams over.

You get 12 to 15 + reloads per case. I have to take your word for it, I am the fan of reducing case travel, to accomplish that I can not use the same instructions you use. It is not possible to get many firings out of a case by returning it to minimum length/full length sizing. The most unlikely chamber I am going to encounter is a short chamber.

many times I ask where the .002" adjustment came from and no one knows.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-27-2020 at 01:10.

Blog Entries

Guffey - yes, I see we are both having problems with 1/4" icons on phones with 1/2" fingers.

"and generally understood set up procedures".....things I have picked up here and from other forums about case prep.
    Last edited by PWC; 01-27-2020 at 03:19.

Blog Entries

Guffey - I was on the THR forum and I read one of your new responses and...just for grins and giggles I went back and read some of your early posts on subjects I'm interested in, mostly reloading. Now, I've been on CSP/Jouster since '82, and I've seen the same questions asked many times, just stated differently.

Reference my previous comment that I felt like some of your responses seemed like a receipe missing an ingredient. Well, I discovered your earlier posts (2008 on) were more complete, and more understandable. I have seen more current answers that seemed like direct quotes from your older posts, but not as complete as the older posts. Maybe you have grown tired of responding to the same questions, and give us the Reader's Digest version.... I believe there is valuable info in what's left out.

I like your early version posts...without the argumentation.
    Last edited by PWC; 01-28-2020 at 05:15.

10. Default

Guffey - I was on the THR forum and I read one of your new responses and
    "new responses?", I do not believe you are lucky because you did not say thank you for your effort, and then there is always a big chance my response will be delegated before anyone has a chance to read it. that does not bother you so I have no use for you.

I have always felt reloading forums should have a forum for lonely people, you wasted time in going back, back in the old days reloaders thought the datum was a line. They could not handle it when I tried to convince them the datum was not a linen I told them the datum was a circle, I told them the datum was a round hole, I told them the round hole had to have a sharp edge. I tried to convince them they could make datums etc., they got angry. And then? They got giggle about the Sinclair/Hornady gage. The first deceleration? It was a head space gage; and I said it can not be because the the datum has a radius and the same tool is being made today. Reloaders did not know the difference between a gage and comparator, if it was up to reloaders every tool would be a head space gage.

F. Guffey