Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

He has listed another low serial number 1870. This time 33. The numbers are stacked. Interesting looking piece. My number 9 is cleaning up nicely. Just need to find all the missing parts!

trapdoor-no33.jpg
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

He changed the date on that one after I told him the one I purchased was not a 68 but rather a 70. Mine, #24 seemed to be a barrel that someone either tried to put together or take apart. The witness marks were way off. He offered me to send it back but I sold it in Allentown yesterday for what I paid. 1870 stocks are hard to come by and the one I purchased from Al I got lucky on. I like doing projects as you learn what the correct parts are for different models but think I'm going to go back to buying complete rifles. Just seems you spend more putting one together than actually buying one complete, just my 2 cents. I will continue to replace broken or incorrect parts like on the carbine I purchased off gun broker. Bought the correct lock plate and hammer yesterday and is now installed,looks great I might add : )

- - - Updated - - -

Dick, I sent an e mail Friday when I saw it wanting to purchase it. I called them back a little latter and told them but seems the purchaser had bought it the same day. They have another but have not posted it yet. This one from the sounds of it the stock has been sanded. There is no circle P and a very light cartouche along with the bore not as good as the one just sold. Did any of the 1001 made have a dated lock plate?
    I'll be watching for the photos
    Last edited by Carlsr; 10-20-2019 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    I did get an 1873 dated lock plate and type I hammer for my 1881 stared carbine
    so now it is as it should be.
    Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated!!
    I'm curious as to why you bought a type 1 hammer and an 1873 dated lock plate for you 1881 made carbine?

70ish, It is an 1881 stared carbine. These were carbines and rifles that used parts from the rifles that were turned in with serial numbers under 50000. Parts that could be reused were utilized on these 1880 and 1881 stared arms. Some were issued with the new lock plate and hammer of the period and some with the 1873 dated lock plates and type I or type II hammers. In Al Frascas's book page 106,107,108. My carbine is not listed but it is within a couple numbers listed that were issued with old locks and hammers. Mine was updated for the SA war so it has the 1888 style lock plate and serrated trigger. It was quite dirty and covered with paint so I cleaned it up and made it as original as possible. I wanted to replace the buffington rear sight with the original issued one but you could tell were the new sight and M90 barrel band was so I left it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    He changed the date on that one after I told him the one I purchased was not a 68 but rather a 70. Mine, #24 seemed to be a barrel that someone either tried to put together or take apart. The witness marks were way off. He offered me to send it back but I sold it in Allentown yesterday for what I paid. 1870 stocks are hard to come by and the one I purchased from Al I got lucky on. I like doing projects as you learn what the correct parts are for different models but think I'm going to go back to buying complete rifles. Just seems you spend more putting one together than actually buying one complete, just my 2 cents. I will continue to replace broken or incorrect parts like on the carbine I purchased off gun broker. Bought the correct lock plate and hammer yesterday and is now installed,looks great I might add : )

- - - Updated - - -

Dick, I sent an e mail Friday when I saw it wanting to purchase it. I called them back a little latter and told them but seems the purchaser had bought it the same day. They have another but have not posted it yet. This one from the sounds of it the stock has been sanded. There is no circle P and a very light cartouche along with the bore not as good as the one just sold. Did any of the 1001 made have a dated lock plate?
    I'll be watching for the photos
    Carlsr,

I don't disagree about buying a part at a time for a project can be expensive. I do get to learn more about how these things are assembled. I do try and buy lots and get several parts at once, but it's easy to over spend. I take my time usually and try to keep the cost down. I guess I am officially looking for a 1870 model stock at this point. One will come along eventually.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

No, I'd definitely NOT expect, or want, to see a dated lockplate on a TRB.

Thanks Dick, there are a couple more listed on GI. Most are posted by Collectors Firearms. There is one posted by a private dealer but it has a dated lock plate.