Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dick, Was not sure if it was a discrepancy or just your conclusion on M70's.
    WOW!!! 30 years ago, was not aware the book was written that long ago. It's a great book which I take to gun shows for reference along with your 45/70 book.
    What's your opinion on barrel # 24?

Well, I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another - whatever it was!

Not QUITE 30 years, though the carbine # log was started in the 1970s.

I'm not clear on #24. Is it a long or short receiver? If long, it might be OK. Well, either way, it MIGHT be OK! The current understanding on 1870s is that they were NOT numbered - and certainly the MAJORITY aren't; yet, SOME are, and in several varying formats! Probably the most common variety is a four-digit number on the barrel ONLY, sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left.

So, is #24 very early, some sort of experiment, or some later need - by party unknown - to keep the bits together. For my money, it is still an open discussion.

I do not believe that I have info on when the small font was dropped on the very first 1868s. I do know that #31 IS in the traditional italic fancy-serif font which is common to all later 1868s.

Dick, received #24 today. It does have a short receiver but the witness marks do not line up. If I were to turn the barrel to tighten it up" barrel is not loose" the witness mark and patina marks would line up?? Perhaps someone tried to remove the receiver but then who knows. The number looks to have been on both barrel and receiver for some time so I do not believe that they were put there recently.
    I know that the early 68 barrels were lined and seems this barrel is lined or could just be marks from the early single shoulder ramrod. Not sure if I should keep it or send it back. Rifling looks OK with with some pitting at the muzzle end.
    Were the 100 M70's fitted with the metcalfe devise numbered? Just grasping at stones LOL!! Here are some pictures.
    IMG_20191018_161942398.jpgIMG_20191018_162023691.jpgIMG_20191018_162135874.jpg

Well, a short receiver with the tight sight would/could/might appear to indicate one of the 1000 trials rifles. Just cannot say for sure. If the barrel is lined you should be able to see braze, otherwise it could be battering.

I have such an arm (complete) but it is not numbered like #24. In fact it has one of the mysterious "high" 4-digit numbers (4228) on the right side of the barrel only. It also has the ski-slope stock.

Don't know what to say about keeping it

Dick, sold it today in Allentown. Just did not want to pursue another endless money pit on a barrel with possibly a not so good history?? Got what I paid for it so all is good. I also sold an 1868 stock that was on my 1870 before replacing it. For once I went to a show and came home with more money than I took I did get an 1873 dated lock plate and type I hammer for my 1881 stared carbine
    so now it is as it should be.
    Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated!!

Wish I was close to the Allentown show! I happened to be East on business over a weekend in the early '90s and squeezed in a visit with Frank Mallory whom I'd met once before. My company was very understanding - if I paid the extra hotel days & meals they had NO problem if I split time on a job. Got in some interesting trips to places I'd never have been able to visit, that way. SRS, Dixie Gun Works, numerous CW battlefields, etc.

Frank and I went to the show, along with Wayne Gagner. Met Joe DeChristopher and Burt Kellerstadt! I could not believe what was available. Want a CW musket? What year, what contractor, what condition, what price? We'd be lucky to see two or three a year out here. Want a M1880 triangle rod bayonet? Choice of 4 - something you could go five years without seeing even one in CA. I was like a kid in a candy store. Didn't have any funds available at the time but it was sure fun to look.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-19-2019 at 08:02.

It is an awesome show with many c/w rifles and old flintlocks as well, one day I'm going to get me a flint lock and a c/w musket!!
    Last edited by Carlsr; 10-20-2019 at 07:42.

Far from being "pricey", that is a VERY good deal, and is a rare throwback to Cabela's early days when they would give away gems and attempt to rape you for turds because they didn't have a clue as what they were handling. It's easy to spend other people's money, but if I were still dealing, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's better than mine, but I'm no longer upgrading. If you ever thought of getting one, I'd go for it.

I hesitate to suggest this, but I have a duplicate TRB for sale for exactly what I paid for it ($1495) plus shipping. It is VERY rough - the only time I ever got burned on Gunbroker - but it is complete (other than having the swivels cut off the upper band) and collector-correct. I'll throw in a band to the buyer.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-20-2019 at 06:39.

I have sent e mails to purchase it and have called, left message and also call the store but no one is available in the gun library to speak to
    Do you have photo's available for your TRB?
    Finally got through and it was sold : (
    Last edited by Carlsr; 10-20-2019 at 08:50. Reason: added text

Didn't think it would last long at that price! Sorry you missed it.

I'll try to get some pics of my spare TRB over the next couple of days.