Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Early 1870 Rifle

So I was looking for another project and purchased this barrel and receiver from eBay. It's a 1870 model Trapdoor. My first 1870 model. All my other 50-70 models are 1866 and 1868 models. When it arrived I noticed the serial number is 9. I have never seen one that low. This one is going to need some TLC before I can reassemble it into a dignified rifle. Hate this got parted out, but at least it survived. I will treat it well.

1870-9-1.jpg1870-9-2.jpg
    Last edited by Tkacook; 10-12-2019 at 04:06. Reason: Can't type!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Hmmmm. 1870s were not NORMALLY numbered, and, that is not the usual (larger) italic font of the period. I own 77|77 but on the bottom in the usual font.

So, it MIGHT not be SA, though at this point I do not know how you would tell.

IF that truly IS M1870 #9, it is entirely possible that it could have been so marked for fitting-up. Someone wanted to keep them together - that's clear.

The VERY low-numbered 1868s at SA (like 10, 12) are numbered with the font very similar to what you show. Perhaps the "experimental" area had their own stamps?

Bottom line, it's well worth cleaning up and keeping track of!

I might want to use the side view in the revised .58-50 m/s which I am VERY SLOWING working on, if that is OK?

Thanks for sharing!

There is an X on the barrel on the opposite side. I did notice the number font is small compared to the 1868 models I have.

I have no issue with you using the picture at all. I noticed he had what he says is 1868 #24 as well. I went back and looked at completed auctions and looked to see if he sold the breech block as well. I didn't see one that would fit this time frame going back to July. Never know what he might have listed.

Here's #24.

1868-24.jpg
    Last edited by Tkacook; 10-12-2019 at 06:15. Reason: Additional information.

Tkacook, I purchased that barrel this morning after offering a buy now price to the seller!! Was the one you purchased listed as an 1868 or 1870? I have a stock for an 1868 that I planed on using but after looking at the photo's you posted and the seller's photo's I believe it has the short receiver? If it turns out to have the short receiver I do have an 1870 breech block but that one is stamped model 1870. The sight on this barrel is close to the receiver so that breech block would only be marked 1870 if I'm correct?? I believe I purchased another project that will require locating parts that are few and hard to find.

The one I purchased was listed as a model 1863. He does that a good bit. Goes by the lock date. I couldn't tell if 24 had a long nose or short one based on the picture. I believe the word model was added to the 1870 rifles and that a 1868 would only have the date. I believe that is correct. I like projects. Get carried away sometimes. Have to be patient to not over pay. Glad another member here got 24!

I downloaded the photo and zoomed in on it. Looks to be a short receiver but I didn't really look at it closely when purchased as I thought it was a low serial numbered 68. If it is an 1870 I will once again be looking for a stock, was lucky last time as Al had one. Projects are fun, last one was cleaning up a carbine that had paint and grime all over it. This one will take a bit longer I suspect but that is part of the fun and sometimes I do get carried away!!!

7. Default

Is there a difference in the 1870 and 1868 stocks?

Yes, but not the one I THINK you suspect. The 'ski slope' (term invented by Al Frasca I believe) profile to the top of the off-side stock flat occurs on most all 1870 stocks.

I'm guessing that you might have been - since it is the most visible difference between the models - asking is there a difference in the length of the receiver inletting. Yes, there is, but short-inletted stocks are VERY rare. A dear friend of mine, now deceased, found one and SOMEWHERE in my "archives" I have a picture of the two stocks, side by side. Could not find it in 2006, but hope to have it for the pending second edition of "58/50".

The truth of the matter is that the two stocks are basically interchangeable, and with all of the hands they have passed through, it's hard to tell EXACTLY what is "right" for a given specimen, since, for example, an 1868 with the ski-lift COULD be a legitimate service replacement for a broken stock.

Dick, From what I have read in your book and Al's it seems that the information is somewhat different and thereby a little confusing. In Al's book he states that there should only be 3 cartouche marks on an 1870 and in your's it states anywhere from 2 to 4 cartouche marks. A parts dealer in Allentown told me there should never be more than 3??
    In your book you say that 1870 models used 1868 stocks which did not have the ski slope. Was the ski slope added to some stocks along with new inspection marks and some that may have just been reused on the M70's? I believe the barrel I purchased which is #24 above posted by Tkacook that I bought on E bay may be an 1870 but won't be sure until it arrives, possibly by Friday. It was listed as an 1868 but after looking closer at the pictures it seems to have a short receiver. Bought it with intentions to use the M68 stock I have along with the fact that it seems to have a low serial number.

Carl, in case of any discrepancy, I would always defer to Al.

And, THANK YOU for bringing this up. I am in the process of updating "58/50" and want to catch any such errors, etc. IIRC, I was unclear on exactly what was meant by the ski-slope when I was writing it almost 30 years ago (!) and may have laid some bad groundwork that never got changed.