Thread: Savage 99

Default Savage 99

While not a fan of them myself there are many that are. This stock has been on ebay for a few days now with no takers I assume simply because the 99 is not the most popular rifle out there. If any of you are interested this is an excellent buy and would upgrade most rifles. You couldn't buy a raw block of walnut for twice the price in this grade.

No, it's not my listing and I do use the forums WTB/WTS link but just thought this may be of interest to someone. The seller has very good feedback or reviews. Would make a good cold winters day project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-99-R...YAAOSwCf9dkAM7

Beautiful walnut stock set! The 99 has always to me been the very best possible design for a lever-action using rifle cartridges. In 250 Savage, it is just about unbeatable. Properly bedded, it will shot with many bolt-action rifles. In 7mm-08 it is an extremely competent big game rifle. Same chambered in .308 Winchester. Put a good Lyman aperture sight on the rifle and you can do business right on out to the far side of a pasture, etc. Extremely fast second shot if needed while hunting in timber. If I had a 99, even one with good factory wood, I'd still very seriously consider upgrading with this stock set. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I looked at the stock and thought about it for a while. The plain checkered stock, on my 1941 Savage, is right for the used look of the rifle. If I had a newer rifle with 100% finish I would purchase that stock.

Default fancy walnut

I have my father's Savage 99 that was made in 1954, still nice wood too. A factory fore-end is around $70
    now and may not match the stock. That is a good buy as many of the old Model 99's had poor installation
    of the recoil pad or messed-up sling swivels attached.

I have a nice walnut blank and fore-end that I bought from a gunsmith moving out of state about twenty
    years ago. I was going to buy a Ruger No 1 barrel & action from Brownells and use the fancy wood. Just
    never got around to it. Photo shows my blank next to a Winchester M1 stock that still looks good.P1010054_0043_043.jpg

When Winchester got the contract for the M1 Rifle they transferred some commercial blanks to the military contract, and occasionally you will find a Winchester M1 Rifle with really nice wood. Normally the military rejected fancy grain walnut other than fiddleback. That looks like an early Winchester with a no trap butt.

The 99 would be more popular if they were still made. Discontinued in 1998.
    http://www.savage99.com/index.php
    One needs to be careful about what one says around Savage collectors too. Passionate bunch, so they are. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Bill Ruger made his first semi auto rifle out of a Savage 99

The butt and forend that I put on my 1921 vintage .30-30 Savage carbine could be bookends to those two pieces on ebay.

The 99 was a great rifle. All in all, as a hunting rifle it was at least equal to John Browning's 1895 Winchester. The nicest one I ever saw was when I was a teenager hunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There were old guys in our camp. One of them had a 99 in 38-55 with a tapered octagon barrel. It may have originally been blued but it was all brown.

jn