Default 1911 sold to the Gov't and shiiped to SA

I'm curious why a 1911 shipped from Colt 05/23/18 in a shipment of 4,200 pistols, was shipped to Springfield Armory instead of the usual Bush
    Terminal, NY Port of Embarkation, etc. locations I usually see.
    Anyone know why Springfield Armory, testing?
    Thanks

Up until about mid 1918 most of the shipments were going to Springfield Armory, but from then on most were shipped to France through Bush Terminal in Brooklyn, or Greenville Piers in New Jersey. Virtually the same day the war ended the shipments to France ceased.

Ordnance had inspectors at Colt, and the pistols had passed all inspections and had been accepted for issue when they left Colt. It had just been customary for most of the pistols to go to an armory or arsenal for distribution to the various military installations.

Ordnance has issued contracts for something like 2.2 million Model 1911 pistols during the war, but none made it into production before the war ended, and the contracts were cancelled when the war ended.

Johnny P
    Thanks for the clarification. In looking through some Colt letters I noticed this was different so thought I'd ask.
    Thaks again.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Ordnance has issued contracts for something like 2.2 million Model 1911 pistols during the war, but none made it into production before the war ended, and the contracts were cancelled when the war ended.
    Not sure what you mean by this paragraph. Are the contracts referenced in this paragraph in addition to those issued to Springfield Armory, Colt, and Remington UMC (understand Springfield didn't exactly have a "contract" being a GOGO entity)?I

I'm away from my references right now, so can't check them.

- - - Updated - - -

Or were all of the contracts for produced pistols issued prior to the U.S. entry into the War.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbound View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this paragraph. Are the contracts referenced in this paragraph in addition to those issued to Springfield Armory, Colt, and Remington UMC (understand Springfield didn't exactly have a "contract" being a GOGO entity)?I

I'm away from my references right now, so can't check them.

- - - Updated - - -

Or were all of the contracts for produced pistols issued prior to the U.S. entry into the War.
    As noted in my post, the new contracts were issued during the war, and Colt and Remington UMC already had contracts. Contracts were issued to North American Arms, A. J. Savage Co., Winchester, Caron Brothers, Lanston Monotype Co., National Cash Register, Savage Arms Co., and Burroughs Adding Machine Co.

The contracts were issued between March and September of 1918, and none of the contractors were able to deliver a pistol before the war ended in November of 1918 and the contracts were cancelled.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 10-22-2019 at 06:06.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    As noted in my post, the new contracts were issued during the war, and Colt and Remington UMC already had contracts. Contracts were issued to North American Arms, A. J. Savage Co., Winchester, Caron Brothers, Lanston Monotype Co., National Cash Register, Savage Arms Co., and Burroughs Adding Machine Co.

The contracts were issued between March and September of 1918, and none of the contractors were able to deliver a pistol before the war ended in November of 1918 and the contracts were cancelled.
    Now I understand. Thank you very much.

Colt held the patent for the Model 1911 pistol, but as part of the agreement for the military contract agreed that the government arsenals could manufacture the Model 1911 after Colt had first produced 50,000 pistols. The military was also to pay Colt a royalty fee of $2.00 per pistol. Springfield Armory immediately started making plans to manufacture the Model 1911, but as they had to develop all the machinery it was unable to produce a pistol until early 1914.

Nice SA Johnny P.