Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...have to readjust the loading die..." As in the bullet seater die? Inconsistent lengths usually means the die or seating plug is loose. Mind you, inconsistently raising the ram will do it too
    How much is the difference? You do have a tolerance for the OAL. SAAMI Max OAL for the '06 is 3.340" Minimum is 2.940".
    It’s not much of a difference, maybe a few thousands and the difference is within the min-max specs.

I am not a whiz at any of this, but early on I wondered what the point of OAL was as far as good shooting rouonds. The point of the bullet hangs out in "mid-air" and effects nothing as far as I could tell. I use this guys technique. He's a little repetitive but I do this when I reload for my Swedes and Swiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlLXary7ss
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

3. Default

Unless you are loading so close to maximum length that some cartridges won't enter the magazine, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you have bunches of slack somewhere, your die should be seating the ogive to the same place and overall length doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Unless you are loading so close to maximum length that some cartridges won't enter the magazine, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you have bunches of slack somewhere, your die should be seating the ogive to the same place and overall length doesn't matter.
    The OAL that I’m trying to achieve is 3.325”. The maximum allowed is 3.334”. My finished product never exceeds 3.325” and I measure every one, but I often get some that are as short as 3.319”. But that is measuring from the head to the tip. The front tip of the case neck is always right within the crimping groove. I was just wondering if the variable was typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    . . . . .I was just wondering if the variable was typical.
    Yup . . . .typical. . . . .

For a surprising “eye-opener”, measure the length of ANY, high-quality, MATCH GRADE bullet that has a hollow point . . . .

Even at this “expensive” level, the bullet OAL will vary . . . considerably!

Under a glass, look at the “ragged” tip of the bullet and you’ll see WHY your cartridge OAL will vary.

Measuring OGIVE to cartridge HEAD is the only way to go!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The OAL that I’m trying to achieve is 3.325”. The maximum allowed is 3.334”. My finished product never exceeds 3.325” and I measure every one, but I often get some that are as short as 3.319”. But that is measuring from the head to the tip. The front tip of the case neck is always right within the crimping groove. I was just wondering if the variable was typical.
    You are trying to do something that is of no importance as long as the loaded cartridge will function in the rifle. As mentioned by JimF, the HP match bullet is formed from the base forward, and this leaves the tip of the bullet somewhat irregular. A slight irregularity at the base of the bullet affects accuracy, but a slight irregularity at at the tip doesn't.

By setting the OAL as the criteria, you are changing the distance the bullet is off the rifling.

It is amazing how uninformed reloaders can be. If you are depending on OAL for accuracy your pi**ing into the wind. The tip of the bullet can be as out there as Pinocchios nose and, with in reason, not make any difference. A lot of reloading is Voodoo. Bullets make a difference.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Merc, have you checked your primers. They may not be seated the same. Just a thought.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Most loading charts post a min OAL in their specs for a specific bullet. This is to assure the loader that he is not placing too much of the bullet in the case and thereby increasing pressures to a dangerous level. Setting up seating dies should be done using proper measuring tools that read Base to Ogive and then decisions need to be made as to the distance from ogive to lands. It's not rocket science, but a lot of us get it wrong.

10. Default

what dies are you using?

OAL of the brass, or the loaded round?
    I have case length when measured from the end of the neck to the case head, I have a measurement that is taken from the datum to the case head; when added the two lengths do not add up the overall length of the case. When I seat a bullet in the case I have a length from the top of the bullet to the case head, when I want COl (case overall length) I measure from the top of the bullet to the case head.

The case does not have 'overall' without the bullet.

F. Guffey