Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Inconsistent OAL

The thing that slows down my reloading is inconsistent overall length. I use a Lee press and I’m constantly adjusting the die position. Any recommendations?

Blog Entries

what dies are you using?

OAL of the brass, or the loaded round?

type of bullet?
    Last edited by lyman; 09-25-2019 at 07:15. Reason: forgotz

Depends on what and where we're measuring.

Meplats.jpgSeatingDepth.jpg

I’m using a Lee Precision press and a RCBS loading die to press in a 30-06 M2 FMJ Flat Based bullet into sized and trimmed case. I set the loading die for the first bullet but have to readjust the loading die for just about every bullet thereafter. They’re either too long or too short. Is it inconsistent bullet shape or slop in their press linkage? I would suspect slop in the press linkage.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-25-2019 at 08:14.

Blog Entries

start with the basics,

clean the seater die, and look at the seater (where the bullet tips contact and see if it makes a solid contact (preferably around the bullet just below the tip)

make sure the die is secure (basics, something everyone overlooks once in a while), want to make sure it does not turn or wobble

clean the shell holder,

once you have eliminated the simple (and not always obvious stuff) look at the components

OAL consistent on the bullets? may need a comparator on that (to measure from the the same spot on each bullet , not the tip, )

if all those are good, then I would look at a better press, and\or a Benchrest type seater die,

for 30.06 I use a Forster Co-Ax press and an ancient Videcki seater die, no issues using 150's or 168's

This is why you never measure from the bullet TIP to the head of the case!
    Measure from the OGIVE to the head of the case.

What are the overall length of the bullets. I had this issue using cheap GI bullets.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Good suggestions. I will clean the die and shell holder and see what can be done to tighten up the press link slop.

When you set your seating stem you do it after finding the longest bullet in the box. Match hollow points vary a great deal in their length to the tip of the bullet. If your seating stem contacts the bullet along the "nose cone" rather than the bullet tip, you will have them all seated the same into the case. The bullet tip length will not make any difference in the function of the firearm. Only time it would have a function problem if your using a magazine such as that for an AR firearm for example. However how close the "nose cone" does make a difference if it is contacting the rifling. What Jim said is correct as well as Lymans suggestion to get a bullet length comparator. Get yourself a Hornady LNL gage. Not that expensive and it does make a difference.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

"...have to readjust the loading die..." As in the bullet seater die? Inconsistent lengths usually means the die or seating plug is loose. Mind you, inconsistently raising the ram will do it too
    How much is the difference? You do have a tolerance for the OAL. SAAMI Max OAL for the '06 is 3.340" Minimum is 2.940".
    Spelling and grammar count!