Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"...or property rights..." No such thing in most places. Not even in the U.S. do you have the Constitutional Right to own property. You just have the Right for property to not be confiscated without due process of law.
    Isn't the cops in NZ who are doing the paying. It's the tax payer. And only a lever action with a mag tube that holds more than 10 is considered evil. Mind you, he'd probably find that after the stupid law was enacted the value of his antique very likely dropped.
    Spelling and grammar count!

In the US, property is guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    I thought that they had a pretty near foolproof system. People there have to belong to a club and not only pass a background check but have to be vetted by the club members. There were different levels of licenses. On the lowest one you could own a Garand with the understanding you would use only 5 RD clips, and the bayonet lug had to be ground off. Succeedingly higher licenses allowed ARs, and ex military select fire guns converted to semi could be owned. Live full autos could be owned, but as in Canada, not shot.

Thanks Griff, I didn't know that. Actually that sounds like a pretty decent system, one where shooters and hunters as a community have some control over who gets to own a gun, and what kind. In the US it's nobody's business what another man does until he breaks the law. And if the community won't/canh't police itself, then guess who will step in.

jn

4. Default

The rights issue aside, being "vetted" by club members, that's typically British and not that great a system. You'll get all the problems with snobbery and prejudice, "blackballing", etc. I recall an article I read in American Rifleman some years ago which addressed how younger shooters often encounter hostility at established clubs, think shooters are mostly grumpy old men and ill mannered boors and bigots. The article described how one man took over a range and made a point of banishing a lot of the old timers until they learned their manners.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 10-14-2019 at 06:42.

The dems in NZ, just like the dems in this country, seek to impose their ideas of "correct" living on all of us. They may be surprised to find that the vast majority of free people are not interested in their ideas.