Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog treat harming dogs

We got an email alert about a popular dog treat that can kill and/or make your dog ill.
    The treat name is: Canine Carry outs. They are made in Topeka, Kansas, distributed by Big HeartPet Brands, inc in San Francisco,CA. There is an ingredient that keeps the treat soft that is the problem. Includes all flavors!

To add to the above alert, these treats are not being recalled. But, one of the ingredients is glycol...antifreeze!

Thanks for the notice. My dog likes Milo's Kitchen steak grillers. I just read the ingredients and it contains propylene glycol. I'll have to research this now. He's been eating these for years now.

I've often heard of people poisoning coyote's with anti-freeze. They are attracted to the sweet taste but it is said that the glycol results in a very painful death.

I came across these articles. It basically states it is approved by the FDA but they also admit the FDA is often wrong. If used as a sweetener I would think it is in the danger limits. Apparently many dog/cat foods and human foods have some type of glycol. I intend to slowly wean my dog to other treats.

The bottom line is anti-freeze is made of ethylene glycol and dog food/treats have the propylene glycol.

https://iheartdogs.com/should-you-av...pylene-glycol/

https://keepthetailwagging.com/is-pr...od-and-treats/
    Last edited by Allen; 09-22-2019 at 07:38.

Thanks for posting, I will pass this on to my friends also who have dogs.

6. Default

propylene glycol Has been pet food forever. We used in the early 70s when I worked in pet food. It is a water stabilizer that prevents mold from forming. All food with much moisture in it uses the stuff. Way different from ethylene glycol, or antifreeze.

Milk bone and 'Ol Roy. That's the secret.

Vern, you and I must be unconstructed rednecks. My dogs have always loved 'Ol Roy and Milkbone.

That's usually what the bank tellers give my dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"...one of the ingredients is glycol..." Lots of stuff for humans has propylene glycol in it. Propylene glycol is perfectly safe for human consumption. Mind you, so is chocolate and chocolate is toxic for dogs.
    Anti-freeze is Ethylene glycol, that dogs are also known to lap up off drive ways, is also toxic to dogs.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...lycol#section2
    Spelling and grammar count!