Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Carry for hiking

We have bear/lion encounters a few times a year in this area. My desire is to carry a revolver such that it is available for strong hand/ weak hand optionally rather than an optimum strong hand good luck with the weak hand rig.
    What are your opinions and how do you carry?

Have been known to roam the woods and fields. Very often do so during deer and hog hunting. Have carried al sorts of revolvers and even a few pistols. Much prefer a good S&W revolver. Over the last few years, I have gravitated to the 19/66 revolvers ... four inch barrels in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster worn cross draw. This has been pretty much my go to outfit for at least the last 20 years or so. Gives immediate unimpeded access. More than powerful enough for any common problems that one might encounter either two or four legs. Strong/weak hand shooting if fine for combat type matches, but highly unlikely to be needed in routine day to day type hiking. Even then, if necessary, with common speed loaders it would be no big deal to reload a K-frame. If one wanted more power, there are always the N-frames in .44 or .45 calibers. Would be hard to imagine what more one could want or need. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Model 27-2 and practice with the other hand so you can hit what you're aiming at. Pachmayr grips will help a lot. Against aggressive wildlife if the first 5 shots don't get it done then speed reloading isn't going help.

But realistically bear spray would be my first choice.
    Last edited by togor; 09-20-2019 at 08:10.

I carried a Remington 870 in 12 gage with a short barrel when I used to be out and about in Alaska. Are you carrying a light pack? What are your thoughts on a waist belt?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Bear or lion? I would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot. My preference would be a S&W 629 or the Remington 870 12ga magnum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    I carried a Remington 870 in 12 gage with a short barrel when I used to be out and about in Alaska. Are you carrying a light pack? What are your thoughts on a waist belt?
    a friend carries on of these in off season when scouting, .slung over the shoulder, when Hunting season is in, he carries an older Rossi 357 4" (cheap beater that works)

and another friend keeps an 870 handy when he is working on the farm,

black bear only, and they scoot away from humans unless you get between mom and the cubs,

coyote and wild dog are the bigger issues here

"...would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot..." Physics does not allow that. Not even a 12 gauge slug, magnum or not, will stop anything in its tracks. Both Yogi and Snagglepuss would require a central nervous system shot to even slow 'em down. Carrying a firearm for SD against the local fauna is primarily a placebo. Most people carry 'em because they legally can rather than a real need.
    Both Yogi and Snagglepuss attack differently, if they attack at all. Neither is really that interested in you in the first place though. Unless you get between Cindy and her kids, togor's bear spray(or a really loud whistle) will be far more effective.
    Yogi is usually encountered, by accident, face to face. If he's PO'd and coming from under 100 yards, you will never be fast enough to recognize the threat, draw, aim and shoot accurately. Yogi can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
    Kitty is encountered usually by joggers or hikers who run. That triggers Kitty's "THAT'S FOOD!!!" instinct. Deer run. And Kitty comes from above and behind, in absolute silence. Kitty can jump about 40 feet on a run(at 50 MPH when he's in a hurry.), climb over a 12 foot fence and 15 feet up a tree.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot..." Physics does not allow that. Not even a 12 gauge slug, magnum or not, will stop anything in its tracks. Both Yogi and Snagglepuss would require a central nervous system shot to even slow 'em down. Carrying a firearm for SD against the local fauna is primarily a placebo. Most people carry 'em because they legally can rather than a real need.
    Both Yogi and Snagglepuss attack differently, if they attack at all. Neither is really that interested in you in the first place though. Unless you get between Cindy and her kids, togor's bear spray(or a really loud whistle) will be far more effective.
    Yogi is usually encountered, by accident, face to face. If he's PO'd and coming from under 100 yards, you will never be fast enough to recognize the threat, draw, aim and shoot accurately. Yogi can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
    Kitty is encountered usually by joggers or hikers who run. That triggers Kitty's "THAT'S FOOD!!!" instinct. Deer run. And Kitty comes from above and behind, in absolute silence. Kitty can jump about 40 feet on a run(at 50 MPH when he's in a hurry.), climb over a 12 foot fence and 15 feet up a tree.
    Picky picky. You have to draw the line somewhere. A well placed 44mag slug or a blast from a 12ga mag can take a head completely off. An off center shot can take half a head off. Most of us can't carry a 88mm anti tank cannon around so....

A person may only have a chance for one shot so using the most effective would be what I would want to have on me. The noise alone would discourage a lot of animals. I certainly wouldn't want to try my luck with a 22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    We have bear/lion encounters a few times a year in this area. My desire is to carry a revolver such that it is available for strong hand/ weak hand optionally rather than an optimum strong hand good luck with the weak hand rig.
    What are your opinions and how do you carry?
    Ruger single action 45 Colt loaded with 250 gr Keith bullet backed by 18gr 2400. Carried in a military M7 holster. Very comforting and comfortable.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

I carry a Colt New Service in .45 Colt in a strong side holster, with two speed loaders on the opposite side.