1. Default Springfield 1903

I recently recieved a Springfield 1903 that has been sporterized. The rifle has no sights on it and has already been drilled and tapped for a Leupold scope base. The bolt that came with the rifle is shot. I am looking for another bolt at this time. I have a Smith Corona 1903A3 that is in fine shape. While trying the bolt from my SC in the Springfield I found that the bolt will not work with a scope mounted on the rifle. Will a set of high rings allow the bolt to work or will I have to modify the bolt handle to clear the scope. I am not using the SC bolt in the Springfield. I will be ordering a bolt to use.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mjpchief View Post
    I recently recieved a Springfield 1903 that has been sporterized. The rifle has no sights on it and has already been drilled and tapped for a Leupold scope base. The bolt that came with the rifle is shot. I am looking for another bolt at this time. I have a Smith Corona 1903A3 that is in fine shape. While trying the bolt from my SC in the Springfield I found that the bolt will not work with a scope mounted on the rifle. Will a set of high rings allow the bolt to work or will I have to modify the bolt handle to clear the scope. I am not using the SC bolt in the Springfield. I will be ordering a bolt to use.
    I can't be sure, but I'm guessing that you will have to modify the bolt handle.

If you do find that you need to modify it, I recently had The Boltman modify a Swedish bolt for me and he does excellent work

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/bolt...e-boltman?i=15
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

3. Default

Here is a picture of a modified Remington that I had modified by Roy Dunlap many years ago. A skilled gunsmith can modify the bolt without annealing the cocking cam. Roy used bending blocks that kept the heat away from all part of the bolt except the handle. This modification does not require a large alteration to the receiver This is/was an new,never used Remington bolt. It also incorporates a low scope MK II safety which I do not now is legal on an 03A4 clone for the CMP matches

https://imgur.com/kkZAUHF

https://imgur.com/nqRrcdG

https://imgur.com/GdV7Elk

FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 09-16-2019 at 06:01.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpchief View Post
    I have a bolt body modified for clearing a scope that I am not using that could find a new home at low cost. If interested, let me know (post or PM), and I will dig it out and check comparative headspace against actions in my possession.
    Last edited by togor; 09-17-2019 at 05:46.

I checked. It's a Brown & Sharpe replacement bolt with extractor. Appears to be in new condition in terms of finish. I see no signs of blasting. Handle mod appears professionally done. Bolt runs towards failing GO as opposed to FIELD in my actions so chances are good it can fit. If interest I can photo. It's a very nice bolt if someone working on a A4 clone.

As I recall this was part of a eBay bolt bundle. I wanted the NS bolt and this was along for the ride.
    Last edited by togor; 09-17-2019 at 05:43.

"...bolt that came with the rifle is shot..." What makes you think that?
    It's unlikely that higher rings would help. If that were the case that's what would have been done with the A4's.
    Anyway, Gunparts lists '03 bolts with the handle modified for scope use for $28. A blued one will be $29.25 and a complete bolt runs $85.50. All bolts must be fitted for headspace though. They are not drop in parts. And whatever "comparative headspace" is won't matter.
    I do seem to recall seeing just bent bolt handles on-line though. It was a cut and weld thing, I think.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    And whatever "comparative headspace" is won't matter.
    Why so salty? I have multiple '03 actions. Every one of them has a bolt that closes on a GO and doesn't on a NO-GO. Now cross-check every bolt against every action. Some bolts are more likely to fail FIELD, and some are more likely to fail GO. It's useful information if a bolt runs on the tight or loose side. Pretty much everyone left at this forum knows that headspace checks are essential.

Blog Entries

I am curious about why the bolt is shot. locking lugs? cracked?

pics would help,

as far as comparison headspace, you can pretty much guess that if it passes in a handful of actions, it will likely pass in another,
    1903's/A3's are not like Enfields where they all need to be handfitted to be correct

always good to check to make sure, of course

9. Default

The bolt was not kept with the rifle. It looks like it was stored in a bucket of saltwater for about 2 years. It is pitted beyond repair. I have a bolt coming from Numrich. Will have headspace checked with a gauge before using it.