Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sported SC 03A3

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    The Smith is an early one, and the other one is already tapped for a scope...
    Yep...I've got a couple of NIW 03A3 barrels. The issue would be how much would it cost to mount the new barrel.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

IMR4064 and 168 grain Hornady Match work really well out of my '03A4.
    "...have this one..." It has the scope base too. Doesn't cost as much as you'd think to change a barrel. Criterion has 24", 4 groove, short chamber, '03A3 barrels for $219.99. Dean's Gun Restoration wants $199 for the Criterion barrel plus $185 to install and finish the thing.
    Still a pile of money for the wee metal bits though. I'd cost that out and then decide.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Yep...I've got a couple of NIW 03A3 barrels. The issue would be how much would it cost to mount the new barrel.
    if you have an action wrench and barrel vise, it is easy to do,

of course you would need a reamer and headspace gauges,

FWIW, 168 SMK's and 4064 do very well in my 03's and A3's
    Last edited by lyman; 09-18-2019 at 05:08.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    IMR4064 and 168 grain Hornady Match work really well out of my '03A4.
    "...have this one..." It has the scope base too. Doesn't cost as much as you'd think to change a barrel. Criterion has 24", 4 groove, short chamber, '03A3 barrels for $219.99. Dean's Gun Restoration wants $199 for the Criterion barrel plus $185 to install and finish the thing.
    Still a pile of money for the wee metal bits though. I'd cost that out and then decide.
    I've heard that the Criterions are great barrels. Probably more accurate than the older WWII NIW barrels that I have. If I end up using the 03A3 with the short barrel, I might consider selling off one of my NOS barrels and using the money to buy a Criterion.

I'll definitely need a few bits to finish off this project, but have a collection of parts that I can draw from.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    if you have an action wrench and barrel vise, it is easy to do,

of course you would need a reamer and headspace gauges,

FWIW, 168 SMK's and 4064 do very well in my 03's and A3's
    Thanks, Lyman.

Much as I like to save money, I will probably have someone else rebarrel the rifle.

I reload for a lot of old military calibers...7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Swede, 8mm Mauser, 7.65 Argentine, 7.62 x 54R, 7.62 x 51, etc. I've yet to run across one of these military cartridges that would shoot well with a proper load of IMR 4064. It seems like it is a great "one powder fits all" solution to reloading military cartridges.

Have any pet loads you would like to share?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Thanks, Lyman.

Much as I like to save money, I will probably have someone else rebarrel the rifle.

I reload for a lot of old military calibers...7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Swede, 8mm Mauser, 7.65 Argentine, 7.62 x 54R, 7.62 x 51, etc. I've yet to run across one of these military cartridges that would shoot well with a proper load of IMR 4064. It seems like it is a great "one powder fits all" solution to reloading military cartridges.

Have any pet loads you would like to share?
    shoot me a PM w\ your email address and I'll send you a .pdf copy of Dunlap's Loading .30 Cal Match Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by 98src View Post
    One thing for sure, it's the 17,930th one made. What is the barrel date?
    3,608,000 is the first, 3,608,001 is the second,......

The actual cost of having a new barrel mounted would depend entirely on what the shop sets for a price, and it varies widely. The CMP 'Custom Shop' has new Criterion barrels available, and a set fee for mounting and shipping.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-g...or-the-1903a3/ You'd need to either provide a barrel, or buy one of the Criterions they stock.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-20-2019 at 06:31.

a variation of an old accuracy load from a Lyman book that for me is very accurate is:
    150 gr. Sierra HPBT
    52gr. Accurate XMR 4064
    BR-2 primer
    LC 68 match case
    3.350 oal
    work up the load, it is close to max(the original load used IMR 4064)

"...if you have an action wrench and barrel vise..." Takes a bit more than just that. The most important is a solid work bench and 4" vise. Oh and a great big mallet. (We used a 4 foot 2" hunk of AL bar stock on No. 4 Lee-Enfields long ago.) All of that can get pricey for a one time job. Reamers and headspace gauges can be rented.
    Spelling and grammar count!