Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sported SC 03A3

1. Default Sported SC 03A3

A few years ago I glommed sported 03A4 at auction to use as the base for a CMP vintage sniper 03A4 reproduction. I fooled around and never did anything with it, but today, finally, I made a quick trip to the range to shoot several of my rifles, including this one. It has a Redfield target sight.

I shot 6 rounds of the 150 gr Powershock@ 100 yards. I pulled the #3 shot, but the rifle groups really well with the Redfield sight.

This rifle has the 6 groove barrel

Last edited by Calfed; 09-12-2019 at 06:37.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

I wonder if it's an NRA Match rifle. It glass bedded and have an aftermarket trigger?
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    I wonder if it's an NRA Match rifle. It glass bedded and have an aftermarket trigger?
    Nah, Smith Corona never made NRA match rifles. It is not glass bedded, nor does it have an aftermarket trigger.

It does have an unusual 6 groove barrel...
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-13-2019 at 01:51.

One thing for sure, it's the 17,930th one made. What is the barrel date?

According to these guys, the 6 groove barrel was made by High Standard from roughly Jan. 1943 to April 1943. Supposedly only 5,000 of 'em made too. The S/N indicates your rifle was made in 1943. I think that's an original barrel.
    There were no SC '03A4's. SC did make NRA rifles, but not with that kind of stock(there are all kinds of pictures of full military stocked SC's with the Redfield sights). Cousin Bubba, methinks.
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...groove-rifling
    You have any 168 grain Match ammo? I'm wondering how well it shoots with better ammo.
    Spelling and grammar count!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 98src View Post
    One thing for sure, it's the 17,930th one made. What is the barrel date?
    Barrel date is 12/42. It looks like 2/42, but if you look closely you can see a very lightly struck "1" in front of the 2

Last edited by Calfed; 09-14-2019 at 02:22.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    According to these guys, the 6 groove barrel was made by High Standard from roughly Jan. 1943 to April 1943. Supposedly only 5,000 of 'em made too. The S/N indicates your rifle was made in 1943. I think that's an original barrel.
    There were no SC '03A4's. SC did make NRA rifles, but not with that kind of stock(there are all kinds of pictures of full military stocked SC's with the Redfield sights). Cousin Bubba, methinks.
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...groove-rifling
    You have any 168 grain Match ammo? I'm wondering how well it shoots with better ammo.
    I didn't mean to imply that this was anything other than a sporterized Smith Corona 1903-A3...a nicely sporterized A3, but sporterized nonetheless.

I know SC never made any A4's, but luckily the CMP allows SC receivers to be used for reproduction A4's made up for their Vintage Sniper Matches.

I do have some 168 gr 30.06 Federal Gold Medal Match ammo that shot very well in my faux 1903A1 USMC sniper rifle. I haven't tried it in this rifle though. I reload for my Garands using IMR 4064 and 168 gr Nosler Custom Competition. I could try some of those in this rifle.

My first 03-A3 was a 11-42 SC,S/N:3612220, it was in a sporter stock but thankfully not drilled anywhere. It too has a six groove barrel. I put it back into military dress, although not correct as it resides in a C stock, but all the hardware is SC. Alas, I cannot do it justice anymore due to aging eyes, but it was a very good shooter. Jim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    My first 03-A3 was a 11-42 SC,S/N:3612220, it was in a sporter stock but thankfully not drilled anywhere. It too has a six groove barrel. I put it back into military dress, although not correct as it resides in a C stock, but all the hardware is SC. Alas, I cannot do it justice anymore due to aging eyes, but it was a very good shooter. Jim
    Truth be told, I'm reluctant to break up the Smith Corona rifle to make it into a an A4 clone. It shoots so nice as is.

I do have this one that I could use, although it would need a new barrel.

The Smith is an early one, and the other one is already tapped for a scope...