Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

P.O. Ackley describes shooting 30-06 through a 6.5mm Japanese rifle in his books. Several shots if I remember properly before the bolt locked up.
    And I said "to heck with the rifle give me the cases"; and then I asked how is it possible to chamber a 6.5 rifle to 30/06 with a reamer with .300" pilot? If the reamer had a 6.5 pilot the rifle could be considered a 6.5/06 and I ask; how scary is that? Most reloaders are familiar with the 25/06.

The North Texas shooter chambered a 308 W into a 25/06 and the kibitzers were betting on how long the bullet was when it cleared the barrel. And then there was the case; what happened to the case was beyond most members ability to comprehend.

F. Guffey

2. Default

The mark on the barrel is 300 so I'm wondering 300 WHAT?
    In the big inning there was no Weatherby mag, there was no Winchester mag; there was only the 300 magnmum. I have cases with 300 magnmum head stamps, I have old reloading manuals that list loads for the 300 magnmum. Which one? And then Norma gave reamers to smiths for the 308 Norma Magnmum. I have one, I used it on a P14 with a M1917 barrel.

F. Guffey

3. Default

And then there are the NRA and Ackley quoters; There is nothing to get excited about when going from 308 to .311. It falls under the catagory of 'forgiveness' for stupidity. Increasing the diameter of the barrel decreases pressure created by 'not knowing'.

And then I could ask "how long was the bullet when it left the barrel?"

F. Guffey

I remember reading a short article in the American Rifleman back in the late 1950s about a guy who rechambered a 6.5 Arisaka to 30-06. He took it to a gunsmith, complaining that ever since he rechambered it, the recoil was unbearable. The gunsmith explained to him that he couldn't rechamber a 6.5 to 30-06 because the pilot on the reamer wouldn't fit into the barrel throat. The customer said that he had indeed had that problem, but had turned the reamer down on his lathe until it would fit. The article in the Rifleman had photos of a couple of the bullets fired through the gun, and they were squeezed out until they were about an inch and a half or two inches long.
    One point of the article was how strong the Arisaka action is. The other point is how stupid some people are. They didn't call the guy stupid. I think the term they used was "lucky".
    Tickets, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    I remember reading a short article in the American Rifleman back in the late 1950s about a guy who rechambered a 6.5 Arisaka to 30-06. He took it to a gunsmith, complaining that ever since he rechambered it, the recoil was unbearable. The gunsmith explained to him that he couldn't rechamber a 6.5 to 30-06 because the pilot on the reamer wouldn't fit into the barrel throat. The customer said that he had indeed had that problem, but had turned the reamer down on his lathe until it would fit. The article in the Rifleman had photos of a couple of the bullets fired through the gun, and they were squeezed out until they were about an inch and a half or two inches long.
    One point of the article was how strong the Arisaka action is. The other point is how stupid some people are. They didn't call the guy stupid. I think the term they used was "lucky".
    Yup . . . .

See “The American Rifleman”, May, 1959, page 52.

6. Default

I remember reading a short article in the American Rifleman back in the late 1950s about a guy who rechambered a 6.5 Arisaka to 30-06. He took it to a gunsmith, complaining that ever since he rechambered it, the recoil was unbearable.
    A shooter purchased 308 W ammo and then took off for the range with a rifle that had a 25/06 chamber.

F. Guffey