I realize we don't promote bubba-ing surplus rifles here but a relative brought over a Japanese Type 99 today to ask about value. I didn't know it was "sporterized" until I saw it. Rear sight has been removed and replaced with a Redfield peep sight, bolt turned down (badly), stock forend shortened, handguard and hardware gone and a big recoil pad fitted on the butt. The one slightly interesting thing was that the barrel has evidently been rebored. To what caliber is the question. The mark on the barrel is 300 so I'm wondering 300 WHAT? 300 Savage was an older type conversion that I found. This rifle was butchered in the late 40's/early 50's is my guess. This rifle WAS a war bringback which makes it's butchery sadder still. My relative says it was his fathers (a WWII vet) and the only thing he remembers him saying about it was that it was "bored to 300". How would I find out actual caliber? I'm thinking it would take a gunsmith with proper tools to tell. He wants to sell this rifle. I told him it was worth nothing to a collector because of all the damage to original parts, but that he may find someone who wants it but he really needs to be able to at least tell them what caliber it is. Thoughts on this??